Vintage Clothing Question

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vintage Clothing Question

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:17 am

It's an odd question I know, but how do you get the stink out of vintage clothing?

I recently bought a great vintage jacket but it stinks of somebody's BO! I took it to the dry cleaners and that didn't work; I tumbled it in the dryer with dryer sheets and that just damaged the lapel; I let it swing in the breeze on the porch; I also tried aerasol spray but nothing can get rid of that stink!!!

Any ideas?

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:57 am

Did you ask the Dry Cleaner specifically to try to remove the offensive odor? Some Dry Cleaners'll specialize in cleaning & repairing vintage clothing. Thay may cost a little more than the guy on the corner, but they've probably handled the BO problem before.

Have you checked Smart & Final or a janitorial goods store for professional grade scent removal spray (not aerosol, the spritzy kind)? Try spraying a portion of the lining where you won't see fading to see if it helps with the odor.

When you put the jacket into the drier did you use the Tumble Only setting to keep the heat from damaging the material? Some driers have a Low Heat/Warm setting which should be enough to activate the drier sheets but not cause damamge.

If it comes down to it, how attached to the lining are you? You could have it replaced with a new vintage repro material lining by most competent tailors.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:02 pm

seems like you have exhausted a lot of options already - but see if you can find some ozone spray?

also - i have used my air purifier which has an ionizer to remove glue smell.

mlagirl80
Modern Socialite

the other white odor eliminator

Postby mlagirl80 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:34 pm

before all these days of febreeze and ionizers and dry cleaners people used a potion of 50% plain vodka and 50% distilled water to eliminate strong odors (ancient theater trick), mix in pump spray bottle (make sure you label it!), spritz article as you would with any of the modern anti-funk sprays available today!... test on inside of armpits first if you're concerned about damaging the item since that's where funk usually lives anyways.... m... :cheers:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 pm

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:40 pm

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

alt cleaning methods

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:37 am

I'm afraid to dryclean most of my vintage clothes, but am looking into other methods. In the SF Chronicle the other day they had a break down of environmentally preferred dry clean methods. In my experience traditional solvent drying cleaning doesn't work well, especially for BO.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=913

For a list of Northern California cleaners that offer wet cleaning, see http://departments.oxy.edu/uepi/pperc/c ... ar_you.htm.

For dry cleaners that offer carbon dioxide cleaning, see www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/garment/gcrg/cleanguide.htm. Blue Sky Cleaners is at www.blueskycleaners.com.

For dry cleaners that offer siloxane cleaning, see www.greenearthcleaning.com/consumer/rostersearch.asp. [/url]

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”