Help find a modern thief!... or how to pronounce Eames.

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Boutiki
Modern Fan

Help find a modern thief!... or how to pronounce Eames.

Postby Boutiki » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:39 am

Hey everyone! I was hoping you might be able to help a friend of mine, especially those of you in the Los Angeles area. Joe Kunkle of Jetsetmodern.com was just recently the victim of theft and fraud. He was offering a avery nice vintage orange Eames RAR (armshell with the black rocker base) on his website and someone contacted him to purchase it. This person used the name Chad Michael Smith. He used the email chadderboxx@mac.com and indicated he had a shop called Centerpeace. He Fed-Ex'd Joe a check and had UPS pick up the chair using his account. Well, a week later the check was returned to Joe as there was no account in the name of the business on the check (Color by Design). Now he will not return Joe's calls or emails. Joe filed a police report and is pursuing all legal channels but if any of you can help with any clues as to the whereabouts of the chair or this guy "Chad" (we are not even sure if that is his real name) it would be really great. The phone number he has been using is registered to someone named Oz Carmi at 612 Huntly Dr. in W. Hollywood.

Apparently he has scammed and stolen from other modern dealers as well. Any info you might have can be sent to me at boutiki@pegboardchicago.com or Joe at joe@jetsetmodern.com

At the risk of sounding like John Walsh of America's most wanted... Let's put this scumbag behind bars!
Last edited by Boutiki on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:15 am

Make sure Joe holds his shipping for the check to clear in the future, especially since you just broadcast that he is a sucker for the bad check scheme.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

savvy
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Help find a modern thief!

Postby savvy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:23 pm

naycarl
Modern Groupie

Sorry to hear this

Postby naycarl » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:27 pm

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:30 pm

savvy
Modern Groupie

Postby savvy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:08 pm

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:15 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Eames

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:14 pm

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:56 am

Back to the topic...well kinda...
I was scammed the other way around! A guy came to my house selling magazines and I bought a few. he cashed my check and 3 months later there were no magazines. The bank said that they couldn't trace the guy AT ALL. They weren't even willing to track his account.
Anyhow, I learned that checks are NO USE in our society anymore. Credit cards and insured payment systems (Paypal) are the way to go.
Another scam to be aware of: An acquaintance purchased a car over eBay, and after the auction, the seller asked her to use an escrow company of his choosing to handle the large amount of money. She deposited the money into this escrow company online, and the next day the escrow company and the seller (maybe one of the same) were gone. Ack!!!!
It's very abstract for me to think of people who desire benefitting from other people's misfortunes, that this is they way they choose to spend their precious time on earth...

hoodlum
Modern Fan

Postby hoodlum » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:13 am

the best way to prove to someone that "Eames" is really pronounce with a long E sound is to put on a couple of the eames DVD's where the announcer definitely refers to them as "eemz", or in the film "901: after 45 years of working", Eames Demetrius refers to them as "eeemz"

lavardera
Modern Master

from the horse's mouth

Postby lavardera » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:36 am

Eames Office web site

Eames FAQ page

Eames FAQ #1

http://eamesoffice.org/faq.php
Greg

gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

hoodlum
Modern Fan

Postby hoodlum » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:05 am

exactly

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Eames

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:06 pm

Thank you -- now I can sleep. You guys are all right! ZZZZZZZZZZZ

SDR

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:21 am

And another way to detect just whom you're dealing with is if they refer to Charles and Ray Eames as,......."those brothers that did modern design".

hoodlam
Modern Master

yes!!!

Postby hoodlam » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:27 am

man o man i love it when people naturally assume that they are brothers and not husband and wife. I wonder if people do the same thing with Robin and Lucienne Day or Aino and Alvar Aalto.

hoodlum
Modern Fan

Postby hoodlum » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:30 am

man o man i love it when people naturally assume that they are brothers and not husband and wife. I wonder if people do the same thing with Robin and Lucienne Day or Aino and Alvar Aalto.

had to repost this under my new username

Boutiki
Modern Fan

Caught!

Postby Boutiki » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:31 pm

Well... it seems that Mr. Smith has found himself in the lock up. There are apparently 22 counts of felony theft (He swindled from 21 other on-line modern dealers) for the more than 40,000 worth of stuff he stole. Guess the detectives in LA are on the ball. I hope nobody gets robbed like my buddy Joe did in the future. I know I've learned a valuable lesson, I'll never trust anyone in the future.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”