Russ Meyer RIP

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Russ Meyer RIP

Postby Nathan » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:25 pm

While we observe a minute of silence for the Valley Music Center and the Panorama, please let us pause a moment to as well remember one Mr. Russ Meyer. It was he who in part directed me toward an--admittedly, somewhat warped--appreciation of mid-60s culture. When I saw Common Law Cabin and Motor Psycho and Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! in the early 80s, it cemented what I already knew: the whole world should be in black and white, there should be motorcycles and sports cars everywhere, and they should be piloted by catilevered women who beat up men and go-go dance constantly. Thank you, Russ Meyer.
Last edited by Nathan on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:41 am

I think it was in Chit-Chat, someone mentioned the anniversary of the movie coming up, and I put it on my calendar. That might have been right, but it looks to me like it’s not clear if it is the 40th or 41st anniversary.

Anyway, it will be broadcast on TCM on Friday at 11:00 pm. (Pacific).

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:57 am

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Turner Classic Movie channel is playing "Faster Pussycat" on the 20th! Set your TiVos!
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:02 pm

oh yeh - i'm so there.

and don't forget we have live chat right for java's bachelor pad leading up to the screening.

maybe he'll play some pussycat music!

meeeow

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:08 am

Classic girl meets girl meet girl, girls meets boy and girl, girl kills boy and kidnaps girl, girls meet cripple, vegetable and boy, girl kills girls cripple and vegetable, boy kills girl, and boy gets girl. I love a happy ending!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:44 am

she's not going anywhere.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:01 pm

I had one eye open until cripple and vegetable try to rape girl.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:37 am

There looks to be some substantial reference to Russ Meyers in the new Taschen book, The Big Book of Breasts.

A brief quote from the marketing text regarding Meyers:

"...His big breast epiphany struck shortly thereafter, in the front row of the President's Follies burlesque theater in Los Angeles. The divine messenger was a stripper name Maggie Sullivan. She had the biggest t-i-t-s Russ had ever seen and as he later told interviewers, she was the first woman who ever turned him on. You have to imagine he was getting a bit nervous by age 20, and what a great relief it was to discover he was just a boob-man awaiting his muse."

http://www.taschen.com/
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”