John Delorean dies at 80

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

John Delorean dies at 80

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:21 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Seems

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:05 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:13 am

Well, the coverage in some quarters will center on the appearance of a DeLorean in the "Back to the Future" movie(s), of course. When the car was designed (by the ubiquitous international design guru Giorgietto Giugiaro) the Gull-wing Mercedes SL and the Lamborghini Countach (with pivot-up doors) were legendary, so of course the Delorean needed something comparable, too.

My favorite story about the car is that the design was presented to Mr DeLorean in the form of a model -- only. When asked, GG replied "there are no drawings called for in your contract -- read it!" or words to that effect.

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan

And

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:46 am

If the car was scratched, you just needed some fine sandpaper to efface it-much like they are now doing to the too shiny parts of the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:59 am

modfan

Oops you're in SF

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:59 pm

I guess the story didn't reach the level of national level in the newspapers.
There are shiny portions (think chrome bumpers) of the DCH that were blinding and reflecting too much light/heat into adjacent hi rise condos & office buildings so the finish on those portions will be sanded and 'dulled' much like the rest of the building to minimize it-folks in those condos were sweltering even with their a/c goin full blast much of the time.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:36 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:39 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:49 pm

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:15 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 am

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 pm

Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:11 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:11 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:47 pm

Last edited by johnnyapollo on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:38 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:39 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:14 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:55 am

For another designers' forum discussion of cars, see DesignAddict.

www.designaddict.com >Forum>"DA-hards' favourite Cars"

mru, I once took a pleasure trip (in my '59 Saab 93, a little fast-back beetle I'll never forget) north from Plymouth into the Connecticut River valley, with the objective (if one was needed) of seeing Page's Fords, a restoration business that advertised in the Boston papers. I saw A's and other old Fords being worked on (a couple of Model A woody wagons) and brought back, as a souvenir, a reprint of a little '34 Ford color-choices pamphlet.
The colors seen on Model A's and early V-8's at old-car meets is a revelation; the subtle fawn, dusty olive, yellow-tan, and dark green body colors, often with black fenders and vermillion or yellow striping and wheels (?), makes them the aesthetic equivalent of the finest custom-bodied cars available at the time, it seems to me.

You dad's A400 sounds special -- I have a soft spot for four-door convertibles of all stripes; they seem somehow the ultimate luxury.

SDR

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:33 am

Like DeLoreans (Trying to stay on topic), A400s are very rare, one of the rarest of the As. It is a two door, four seat "sedan-like" convertible. The working side windows give you the best of both worlds. You can take the top down, yet unlike the phaeton, you have windows when the weather turns inclement. Most A convertibles only have optional side "curtains," clear plastic shields that can be added to fill where a side window should have been. That makes roadsters and phaetons not too fun for cool or wet driving.

Too bad DeLorean never made a convertible! (Still trying to stay on topic)

I am too young for the Saab 93 although a former co-woker has one. (He has a later fifties Volvo station wagon for his good car.) In the same office we had two Saab 99s for office cars. They were peppy little cars. We replaced them at 250,000 miles with two 900s in the mid-nineties. The naturally aspirated 900s were dogs. The boss had a convertible turbo 900 that I occasionally drove which was a little better. He replaced the turbo with the new 93. It was a quite a bit better. (but no match for a Delorean)

Somehow I can imagine you in that little bubble of a 93. Didn't the 93 have a two cylinder engine or some such nonsense? Did you ever see Throw Moma from the Train? Maybe we do need that transportation forum.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:17 pm

Well, we probably do -- maybe this is it (for now)? I'd say there is a lot of both nostalgic and current stuff to discuss. . .

The (first) 93 -- they've just now re-used the designation for the first time - was the first car Saab exported to the US. I had a '58 (with "suicide doors) and a '59; the car had (like ALL Saabs, Hondas, Cords, Citroens, and Lancias[?]) front wheel drive, with a three-speed column shift. The powerplant was a two-cycle, three-cylinder, water-cooled engine of 750 cc displacement (many motorcycles are bigger than that!). Light weight and excellent aerodynamics gave the car adequate zip and good mileage, of course. My gray '58 had mattress-ticking looking upholstery and leather door restraint straps; the '59 was a nice medium blue, to which I added red-oxide primer wheels, just for the hell of it.

In addition to a ball-chain-operated "window shade" in front of the radiator (for faster winter warm-up), "winter" and "summer" thermostats, and a free-wheeling clutch, the most endearing oddity was the method of starting the engine. Dispensing with the normal solenoid to connect the starter motor to the flywheel, the car had a pull-cable, with a T-shaped handle, protruded from just below the steel dashboard. To start, one turned the ignition key, then grasped the T handle with the first two fingers, bracing the thumb on the bottom edge of the dashboard for leverage, and pulled; the starter motor was thus swung to the flywheel and similtaneously energized. Presto! It gave one the feeling of being a little more "connected" to the car's mechanism, just as a manual transmission does.

I still miss it. SDR

modfan

Speaking stainless

Postby modfan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:39 pm

There was a Jag all shiny steel (not brushed) at the last LA Auto show-seems to me if it actually made production it would almost be illegal since it would be blinding to other drivers on a sunny day.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Maybe -- but what a look! There was a movie of a few years back in which a flying machine from some other galaxy visited some nice regular folk here on Earth. The machine looked like it was made of chrome-plated liquid mercury (or something) and it could morph from "runabout" to "screaming racer." When stationary it hovered, and when its portal opened a set of steps appeared and hovered between the door and the ground. Really nice special effects. Silver, but shinier than a DeLorean (there, I said it).

SDR

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:59 am

"Flight of the Navigator," right? And don't forget about "Max" with Peewee Herman's voice!

-- John

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Speaking stainless

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:35 am

Right, John -- Thanks. Was Max a character in the film? (I was too busy looking at the vehicle to pay much attention!) Pretty wild "interior architecture" too, as I recall.

Owners of aluminum-bodied cars sooner or later learn of a downside: they can dent easily (?). A friend bought one of the new Rover 2000 TC sedans in the 'sixties; some helpful "pushers" during a Massachusetts snow storm left their "handprints" in the trunk lid, I'm sorry to say. Maybe stiffer alloys are used, today. . .?

SDR

sky

Postby sky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:13 pm

:-$
You found a "D" ticket, and the secret word is "or."

Max was the voice of the spaceship's computer. Sometimes it sounded like HAL from 2001, but when it was being playful, it sounded like Pee-wee.

I remember liking the movie - a good one you could see along with younger kids. I don't remember exactly why the kid had to become the navigator. What kind of system is it that you can download the navigational maps into the unused area of someone's brain, but you can't restore the system later on. What good is a backup system without recovery, especially when you're light years from home?
Last edited by sky on Wed May 25, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 pm

[Favorite line from "The Boys in the Band" (old man's dying words):

". . . I don't understand any of it; I never did. . ."]

Bender

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”