creeping illiteracy, typographical subset

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

creeping illiteracy, typographical subset

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:20 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:55 pm

SDR,

Thanks to Quark and PageMaker, the art of typography is doomed. Anyone with a computer and the software thinks they are typographers. No one actually trains for it anymore, I believe, they just wing it.

It's sad to drive around Palm Springs and see the great typography on MCM buildings. The City Council Chambers with "The people are the city". In fantastic stainless steel letters. You just don't see that anymore in civic buildings.

Doomed.

tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanks, Tony -- at least I'm not crazy all by myself. And I have to agree (sadly) that software has taken the professionalism out of more than one profession. [See my note at "decorative brick screens."]

I'm also convincd that Spell-check is encouraging a certain kind of illiteracy; typers are falsely encouraged, when the right spelling OF THE WRONG WORD is indicated. . ."site/sight" is a favorite, here.

Old public buildings still display beautifully "drawn" lettering; there's a library in Oakland whose vertically elongated bronze Roman capitals march across the frieze of the entabulature

........... P U B L I C . L I B R A R Y ..........

Ah, well.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:59 pm

Irritating as hell to stop mid-word to see an upside down H, backward M, etc. on any signage. Glad to hear I'm not the only one paying attention.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:01 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:35 pm

I second the motion.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:10 pm

Good idea!

But where would we meet in this typographical hell?

tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:20 pm

Right here in cyberspace, where all the typography (at least) is free of such errors -- thanks to gothic-face letterforms, with no thick and thin strokes. . .?

We could collect images of the horrors of which we speak. Maybe concoct pamphlets and instructive tracts, to distribute to low rent sign shops, and do-it-yourselfers shopping the loose-letter bins at Home Depot. . .

Print out banners to be hug above blackboards at local schools (which have lost whatever art and design instruction they might once have provided?).

Take rolls of "this is the back" stickers to said HD's, and stick them to the back of such letters -- in an act of "random kindness" or "urban guerilla warfare," whichever mindset one prefers to inhabit) (Joe is falling asleep again). . .

Or something. SDR
Last edited by SDR on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:26 pm

Think of those clumsy, awkward letters as folk art and you professional typeface setters will sleep much better tonight....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:29 pm

Um. . .yeah, I guess. And those plaster Ionic columns added to that Eichler -- that's folk art, too. "It's a free country."

Actually, I have a hand lettered page that advertised somebody's one-man moving services, long ago; it might have started with a cardboard lettering stencil from Woolworth's, with the rows close-set and filling the page, slightly tilted in places, with most of the letters fattened by hand. It's gorgeous.

Well, it's all rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, if you want my true sentiments. But, one does what one can. . .

Heh heh :cheers: :cheers:

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”