SHOW US YOUR 1950S/1960S RIDES!

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 am

sweet falcon. ms.jvonfink will be jealous. you need a house with a carport to showcase it.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Further Family Vintage Autos

Postby Josquin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 am

Here are a few more from the family collection.
The 1959 Edsel Convertible.
The 1959 Country Squire Wagon.
The 1959 Mark IV Convertible in Blue. The "Blincoln" to distinguish it from the "Pincoln".
The "Pincoln" from a previous post.

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Your Country Squire wagon is my favorite, but I also like "Blincoln".

Josquin

The Country Squire

Postby Josquin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:23 pm

Ah, the Country Squire station wagon. My family moved to California from Massachusetts in a Country Squire. It was the first car I ever drove aside from the dreadful Driver's Ed car. I practiced driving for the first and last time with my mom in our Country Squire. I deftly backed it up against the street curb and blew the back right tire, our first time out. The darn power steering. Of course, as a child, my family didn't own the one pictured, our early seventies Squire was brown with faux wood siding that eventually turned a terrible shade of green, shrank and then peeled off the sides. Eventually the neighborhood homeowners association told us we couldn't park it on the street, because it was considered a blight.

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:32 am

I'm posting this for my friend. She has photos of it on craigslist:
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/182989435/a8y4c

VINTAGE 1965 BUICK WILDCAT 401 - GM - $4999 (EAST Atlanta, Georgia)
This is a babied & clean 1965 Buick Wildcat 4-door with a 401ci engine that was rebuilt a couple years back. I'm the third owner (I have all the paperwork including the original manual) Except for a couple years, it has been garage kept it's whole life. I have complete confidence it could be your daily driver like it has been in the past. No trouble ever starting it up even after being left for a few weeks at a time. It has an Edelbrock carburator and electronic ignition. The air conditioning works! There are a couple minor rust spots, but for the most part it is pristine. The original am radio is disconnected, and there is a stereo/tape player hidden in the glove box and two speakers installed in the back dash. I am sad to part ways with the Wildcat, but I am selling because I recently purchased a house, and need the money to invest in that. Please feel free to call me with any questions you might have. Will consider offers! 404-384-8185

Sartana
Modern Fan

1959 Dodge and 1966 Corvette

Postby Sartana » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:05 pm

Here are the two that I am driving of late, a 1966 Corvette and a 1959 Dodge. The Dodge is mid-restoration as we speak. Who knows when that will be done....

James

Josquin

1959 Dodge

Postby Josquin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 am

That Dodge looks ready to rocket. Man, don't let my brother see that car. He's having a 59 buying fit. Sartana, are you having the Dodge restored to the original state?

Sartana
Modern Fan

Stock all the way...

Postby Sartana » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks for the nice words. Yes, it is going to remain a stocker. It has been a while since I have been able to work on it so I am itching to get it going. My wife and I have been looking for a home so this has been on hold. Once we get settled in the new place, I will hit it once again.

James

srk1941
Modern Master

It's not 1950s/60s, but...

Postby srk1941 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:18 pm

Here is my 1941 Cadillac convertible...

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

hotrod54chevy
Modern Groupie

Postby hotrod54chevy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:06 pm

i'll try to post some pix of my ride

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:35 am

sweet ride, hotrod54chevy!

Josquin

1964 Volvo 544

Postby Josquin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:35 pm

This is our classic Volvo 544 from 1964. In completely original condition, this car had been sitting in my inlaws garage since the late 80's. Runs great and is ready for new chrome and a new charcoal grey paint job.

rogue
Modern Fan

Postby rogue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:50 pm

My 1961 Continental..

Sometimes gravity gets a bit too strong! :wink:

Long and low is the way they go....

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:01 pm

Sweet ride-luv the suicide doors!
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:16 pm

It feels like an episode of Entourage!

Are you carrying bricks in there or just a sporting air ride lifters?

Friends of my family had one of these in a sedan. The suicide back doors were cool even to a six year old.

There was some talk of bringing back the suicide doors in the latest Lincoln concept car, but alas, they were considered too unusual to go into production these days. Damn lawyers!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

rogue
Modern Fan

Postby rogue » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:27 pm

moderns-r-us wrote:It feels like an episode of Entourage!

Are you carrying bricks in there or just a sporting air ride lifters?

Friends of my family had one of these in a sedan. The suicide back doors were cool even to a six year old.

There was some talk of bringing back the suicide doors in the latest Lincoln concept car, but alas, they were considered too unusual to go into production these days. Damn lawyers!

Yup air ride. Most of the time I drive it slightly lowered. I think the long lines of the car look great lower to the ground.

I kept a keen eye on that concept vehicle and had my fingers crossed for production. I would have killed to have it in the same garage as the classic.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

Josquin

1965 Volvo Reborn

Postby Josquin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Our 1964 544 Volvo is back from the shop. The original paint color was still available from Volvo.
Before
After

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Josquin that is nice! Our '69 Citroen ID19 just went to the paint shop on Saturday. Good thing because while goofing around on Craigslist my husband found a '65 for $300. This brings our total up to 4...yes 4!!! Aren't I a good wife :wink: She comes home tomorrow and I will post more once she gets a bath.

Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:23 pm

Oh, God -- are they ALL ID's ?

And Josquin, you amaze me more. That hot grey fastback is all ready for a white disc with number on the door. But don't scratch the paint ! Nice job. . .

I would have chosen the ID with its clutch, perhaps, in favor of the automatic -- which actually worked better and cost less over time ? I've only sat in a DS at an auto show. . .never had a ride in any
Citroen. (The average American lacks many experiences. . .)

How did I miss this thread until now ? Pretty cars above ! My high-school girlfriend's father had a Whincoln coupe like the Pincoln amd the Blincoln. . .
And that Cadillac ragtop -- lovely ! Is it green, or blue ?

SDR :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 am

SDR wrote:Oh, God -- are they ALL ID's ?

All but one...we have a 1964 DS but it's too far gone. That just became the parts car for the new '65. Everything it needs we have on the '64. We have a 1969 ID getting painted and a 1968 ID that my husband is rebuilding from the ground up. Oh yeah....the car club members found out my husband is a mechanic so we have a visiting 1960 ID in our garage too! I guess the IDs must have been better sellers up here in the NW, either that or the only ones that seem to survive. At least the new one is green...the other 3 are white.
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:49 pm

A rare and worthy obsession, if you ask me. And the perfect car for that Jean Prouve MCM. . .!

SDR

Josquin

Citroën DS

Postby Josquin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Sputnikmoss,
Be sure to post some pictures of the refurbished Citroën. My uncle had one and it was the cat's meow. Somehow, I never tire of these reborn jalopies.

I have a wish list going and I would love to get one of these:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:24 pm

Continental Mark II convertible (also made as a coupe), 1956. $10,000, when a Ford was maybe $2500. Delivered to the Lincoln dealer in a polyethylene bag. Sweet and all too rare. How many were made, Josquin ?

SDR

Josquin

Mark ll

Postby Josquin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 pm

SDR,
Spot on!

According to the research, there are only two original Mark ll convertibles. Of course, if I can't get a convertible, I would settle for a coupé.
I had an opportunity to purchase a sweet ox blood red Mark ll, but the negotiations fell apart and the deal fell through.

Here's some technical information on the 1956-1957 Mark ll:

• Engine: Lincoln 368 c.i., V8 engine, 285-300 bhp with Holley or Carter 4-barrel carburetor (13-17 mpg)
• Transmission: Turbo-Drive 3-speed automatic; Differential: Hotchkiss type
• Power steering, power brakes, power windows, power front seat, leather upholstery
• Air conditioning, Town and Country AM radio, vacuum windshield washer and wipers
• Length: 218.5" (18' 2.5"), Width: 77.5" (6' 5.5"), Height: 56" (4' 8"), Weight: 5100 lbs (2.55 tons)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:21 pm

Thank you. Gorgeous photo. What color was the interior of the Oxblood example ?

I believe that the '36-'37 Cord sedan was 56" tall. The son of E L Cord had (was given, as a wedding gift ?) a sedan called "Coppertone," with copper-colored paint and copper-plated metalwork. The car was lost long ago. Might have been quite a sight. . .

SDR

Josquin

Mark ll

Postby Josquin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Here's a picture of the ox-blood red Mark ll. I can't remember exactly, but I think the interior was a shade of blue.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:10 pm

SDR wrote:Thank you. Gorgeous photo. What color was the interior of the Oxblood example ?

I believe that the '36-'37 Cord sedan was 56" tall. The son of E L Cord had (was given, as a wedding gift ?) a sedan called "Coppertone," with copper-colored paint and copper-plated metalwork. The car was lost long ago. Might have been quite a sight. . .

SDR

Coppertone was recently recreated!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 pm

No kidding ! It's about time -- lots of other restored Cords are showing up, I think.

Here's an attempt by a friend who's as batty as I -- this little Hot Wheels number has generic "wire wheels" (mercifully hidden here):

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:51 pm

This slightly off-register photo (on pink newsprint) was the cover shot on last Sunday's SF Chron Datebook section. The slightly accessorized '49 Ford wagon is so evocative; to think that this was the latest thing, that year !

Note the "broken line" of the wooden frame rails on either side of the door handle, just below the window sills. This was acceptable auto styling, once upon a time. What a hoot. . . Really, I love that blue.

SDR

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:26 pm

I haven't had a classic car in a long time (sniff) but I've torn through a great collection of vintage Chrysler products. My very first car was the best I've ever had, my beautifully dowdy, maroon colored bubbly sedan, the 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook. I loved her so much and we had a great couple of years together - until April 20, 1989 when I had Little Richard on KRLA, In-N-Out in my hand and heading 40MPH downhill when I lost the brakes... :(
We bought the car from the family that had rented it out for "Back to the Future" in 1985. Image
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_11597-Plym ... -1953.html

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”