Even More Mid-Century Concept Cars -- Fresh pictures added

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Even More Mid-Century Concept Cars -- Fresh pictures added

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:07 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:46 pm

1954 Oldsmobile F-88!!!!!

ch

Postby ch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:19 am

Mine is the Ford "Nucleon," the first NUCLEAR powered car - take that hydrogen fuel cells!

(Note the rear nuclear reactor)

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:01 am

[quote="Craig"]Mine is the Ford "Nucleon," the first NUCLEAR powered car - take that hydrogen fuel cells!

(Note the rear nuclear reactor)

This Ford seems to be borrowing some styling clues from the 1959-60 Chevrolet El Camino!

Do you know the year?

ch

Postby ch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:07 am

According to Wikipedia it was 1958.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 am

[quote="roadsidepictures"]1954 Oldsmobile F-88!!!!!

Was the F-88 fiberglass too like its cousin the Corvette??

So we have the Oldsmobile version of the Corvette and the Pontiac version was discussed earlier on another thread. Here is a link for that car.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/images/a ... 34_800.jpg

This 1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special concept was shown by Joe Bortz, of Highland Park, Ill. It was Pontiac's design answer to the Chevrolet Corvette and features a Plexiglass bubble-top cockpit and glass gull-wing doors.

Was there a Buick?

This might be Cadilacs version in the fifth photo down.

http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=408
If it was I am not to sure about that grille.

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:07 pm

I remember that odd grille as part of this car. . .which may be from the same program as the others (Joe Bortz has his work cut out for him on this one !). I seem to recall a second Cadillac with this grill: a four-door. As if one of these wasn't enough. . .! Those were the days -- there seems to have been endless cash for these show-cars.

Anyone got a picture of the Italian-built show car for Chrysler in the mid-fifties, that never made it to New York because it went down with the Andrea Doria ? I saw a shot once -- it was said to have a cantilevered hardtop, with little or no "A" pillars (windshield posts). . .

Also, there was a luscious green Eldorado four-door hardtop, precursor to the limited-production Cadillac Eldorado Brougham of '57 (and '58 ?). I remember finding it on the cover of the latest issue of Motor Trend, the day I came home from high school after a particularly humiliating session with the school counselor. A reward, of sorts. . .! (A stringer for the magazine had witnessed it being hastily repaired in time for the auto show, following a back-stage accident involving an errant jacking procedure. Fun stuff !)

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:45 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Great Site Dan O.

Damn this one is the batmobile!

http://carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=1388

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Wow -- thanks for that, Dan ! All the goodies in one place -- and in Russian !

I believe the first (TV) Batmobile was one (of several) of these FoMoCo twin-canopy specials. . .

SDR

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:36 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:20 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 pm

Here is that Corvette / Nomad

http://carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=2108

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:36 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Yup -- I bet when they photoed [?] the Nomad next to the "production" '54 Chevy wagon, they had no idea how prehistoric the latter would look, fifty years later. . .

Somehow, this http://carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=1991 just doesn't work, for me. . .

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:44 pm

A better presentation of the above metioned Cadillac LaSalle II!

It does look a LITTLE Corvettish.

http://carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=2099

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Interesting lists ! There's a curious glitch: 1949 seems to be a repeat of 1946. The Davis was a four-abreast single-seat three-wheeler (!) if I remember correctly. The production Dyna Panhard was an unusual car; I should Google that to see what I can find.

The great disparity in numbers of concept cars made in different years is interesting; 1954 and 1989 seem to have had bumper crops (pun ?) and the numbers have picked up greatly in recent years, compared to the drier 70's and 80's.

Bertone did a Borgward in 1952 -- would that get the "All-time Least Ugly. . . Borgward" award? :D

SDR

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:17 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:21 pm

How 'bout this Ford X-100 parked in front of Eichler's X-100!

They are both made out of steel!

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:52 pm

This would have been interesting. Could use it on my daily commute into Downtown LA

Frank R. Paul Flying Car
Hugo Gernsbach published this Frank R. Paul painting of a two-wheel, gyroscopic, atomic-powered, flying car in 1955 in conjunction with an article about the future of transportation. Gernsbach believed that automobiles would be forced to take to the sky due to ever more crowded roads.
[/url]

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:54 pm

And finally the Buick version of the corvette.

Notice the tell tale Buick hood ports.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:49 pm

Tikifrog
Modern Socialite

Postby Tikifrog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”