California's Gold= George Barris?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark London
Modern Fan

California's Gold= George Barris?

Postby Mark London » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Has Huell Howser ever done a show on Barris?

Did a quick search on the California's Gold
website and turned up...nada.

Anyone here know something about this that I don't?

Seems to me, that little showroom/garage down the
block from me is to pop-culture cars what Wonka's
place is to chocolate...only this joint actually exists!

~ ML ~

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:03 pm

retromotelguest
Modern Fan

Postby retromotelguest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:48 am

I don't know about Huell, but I'm quite sure he was on a History Channel piece on the custom car culture about two weeks ago... and I'm sure Speed Channel has already done a piece on his shop.

Mark London
Modern Fan

Postby Mark London » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:06 am

He's done a million interviews on a million shows,
but I think the showroom here in Toluca Lake
should absolutley get the Cal's Gold treatment,
much like Oceanic Arts got.

~ ML ~

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:30 am

There was great article about George Barris in an issue of Vanity Fair about five years ago. I do not usually read Vanity Fair, but a client gave be the issue because of an article about Neutra and Schndler.

retromotelguest
Modern Fan

Postby retromotelguest » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:47 am

It's so great to see George resurrected by the "pop-rodders"...Now I have to go there... what's the address...?

By the way... historic auto-related post-war businesses... document them now, and think about getting them listed on the N.R. --- old George is not going to be around forever...

Speaking of which... sorry this is a pre-war topic, but if anybody from ModCom or the Conservancy reads this, I think it was kind of sad to see the Canyon Service Station in Santa Monica Canyon turned into an extension of someone's house. I mean, cool for that person, sad for those of us who like to see pristine roadside auto-related architecture remain auto-related. It seems everything I care about is closing or being demolished.

All that said, does anyone know what can be done about the city's zoning laws with respect to historic businesses??? It's like building a house next to a farm, and then complaining about the cows...

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:12 am

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:55 am

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

darkamor
Modern Socialite

Postby darkamor » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:55 am

MAD FABRICATORS SOCIETY
has an excellent documentary / interview with George Barris & Family .....

~(^)~

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Ran into George Barris at the Robert Williams show last week and he was totally open to the idea of landmarking his showroom. He thought that the plaque the city installed recently 'protected' his building.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:34 pm

wow! that would be so great. george's showroom (and all the wonderful pictures in it) SHOULD be protected.

barris is a truly delightful character. he was trying to get a reality tv show on the air some time back and spent time with me sharing his ideas.
he was actually approached by the mtv networks to be the shop for "pimp my ride" but he declined. he said he didn't want to have anything to do with a show with the word "pimp" in it. you see, for a garage guy - george is a good old fashioned class act!

mobile chicane
Modern Groupie

Postby mobile chicane » Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 pm

4 Barris cars for sale in France

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”