1965 South Los Angeles County Phone Book Ads...

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

1965 South Los Angeles County Phone Book Ads...

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

I thought these were interesting enough to show here.

Every once in a while, I'll spot an old Norge Laundromat sign like this!

Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimba » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:44 am

Let's all go to the Jump N Jack for Sunday breakfast!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:52 am

Roadside,

There used to be a Norge Village next to the old Red Rock Theatres and the now gone Rice Paddy Bar. About all that remains of the original businesses around there are the West Hills Barber and the Pool Supply company.

I love the Mars Auto Supply ad.
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:12 am

That Mars guy is still there!

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:25 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Wow! I have a Norge sign with the polka dots just a few miles away from me. The building is something else now I think but I LOVE the sign. Thanks for posting these, now I know what that building used to be. I will take a photo and post it here soon.
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:07 pm

:(
1965: Jump'n Jack
2006: http://pacific.porschedealer.com

HOWEVER, there was ANOTHER Jump'n Jack across from the Wich Stand in the Windsor Hills neighborhood...and it's still a restaurant!

La Louisanne ($$$$)
Southern & Soul

5812 Overhill Dr, Los Angeles 90043
Btwn W Slauson Ave & W 58th PI

Phone: 323-293-5073

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:56 pm

Mackeral! Those images are fantastic.

I recently picked up a slender 67-8 West LA "Red Book" and was disappointed that there were no building or sign illustrations inside...but there were bunches of little spot drawings like this fellow:

...I included that part on the far left because I thought it interesting that after nearly a decade of 7-digit "officialdom," some folks held on to their EXchanges...

(Also...while I fight for the 76 orbs, and fret over the fate of our original KFC buckets, I still consider Norge Balls easily the most smile-producing signs on our landscape.)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:49 am

Poor Crenshaw glass man. Can never hug or shake hands...

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:11 pm

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:47 pm

Great find, Synthetrix! I hadn't seen that card before.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”