today's Zippy...

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

today's Zippy...

Postby Nathan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:50 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:57 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:20 am

More, more you say? You even said it twice! Well, ask and ye shall receive, as the man said (Matt 7&7, but for my money it's James 4-2, anyway,) here ya go --

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:23 am

I also thought this was pretty funny, which I lifted off of homestarrunner...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:14 pm

Now THAT'S what I call "more". . . !

Tip o' the hat to Nathan -- SDR

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:26 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:25 am

A couple of new ones, Valley-related...

The Bad Reporter?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:06 pm

The hideous truth: http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/asmussen/archive/

Not always as funny as it was, but still amusing. . .

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:47 am

Asmussen's work is deeply fantastic, and I can't believe I'd never seen it before. He's only bitter because of the ribbing he got on the playground for his name.

And now, today's Zippy, involving two important things for any morning: time travel and the Big Boy.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:52 pm

Griffith just loves to draw, doesn't he ? The mark of a great cartoonist, of any stripe. (We still miss Bill Waterston.) The As-man, and Tom Tomorrow (author of "This Modern World") are artists with the scanner, in contrast. (Asmussen's strips, after a few days, are useless without the week's headlines. . .)

I approve of Griffith's new (?) "typewriter" lettering. His "Big Boy" (or is that actually Bob ?) has a slightly menacing expression. . .?

SDR

Nathan

Stucco is my co-pilot

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:20 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:18 pm

Well, he's an icon. What're you gonna do ?

There are miles of those quirky stucco residences in the Sunset (district) here -- which has few slopes like those in panel, so that's probably in the hillier neighborhoods to the east and southeast of there. Lovely shrubbery, no ? I wonder if Griffy was visiting recently; maybe he has a photo collection. . .?

SDR

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:14 pm

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Those in the know recognize the Linbrook Bowl in Anaheim, yes?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Oh, to be a pinhead. . .

:cheers:

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:12 pm

I joined the forum a few days ago after lurking for a while, and then found this thread. It seems I am in the right place, if you appreciate Zippy.

A number of the strips you've got here are based on my photographs. I started submitting to him a little over a year ago, and he's since done almost 70 strips with my stuff. Most of it is of SoCal programmatic and Googie architecture, and mascots (the Ronald McDonald strip above is one of mine).

In case you don't know, you can view the Zippy strip for free at Bill Griffith's website. They appear the day after they're published in the paper. Or, you can give him an email address and he'll send them to you.

Anyway, hello to all!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Tomorrow's Zippy (3-4-07) features four Las Vegas motels: the Safari, the Lucky Cuss, Holiday Motel, and Vegas Motel.

Enjoy!

Vintage_Vixen
Modern Groupie

Zippy Rocks!

Postby Vintage_Vixen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks for posting the Zippy strips!! Love me some Zippy!!! We do not get him here in the Great White North (that I know of!) I found out you could view them daily on Bill Griffith's web page...which I found on the web page Googy Architecture 101....which I think is Gnomus's web page (correct?!? Gnomus, it's one of my favourite sites!!)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Kool ! Can you give a web address ? I'd love to be able to check out Zippy every day. . .

SDR

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:35 pm

You can see Zippy for free at www.zippythepinhead.com. You can also sign up and get the strips emailed to you.

Vintage_Vixen, do you mean Space Age City (www.spaceagecity.com/googie/)? This is not my website, it's Chris Jepsen's. Seeing the Zippy strips based on his photos and seeing strips framed and hanging in Googie restaurants is what inspired me to start submitting to Bill Griffith.

Some good news: after a long meander through the Zippyverse, the pinheaded one is back to visiting real places. I'll let you know as my strips appear, so stayed tuned to this thread. And get out with your cameras and submit some stuff yourselves! Become a regular and Bill will send you free autographed prints!

Vintage_Vixen
Modern Groupie

Postby Vintage_Vixen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:41 pm

Gnomus...yes the site is the one that you mentioned...(it's cool....& it's nice to know that you also submit photos..sorry I got you mixed up!!)

Would love to submit photos to Mr. Griffiths.....however, Googie is non-existant where I live. If Zippy ever wanted to drive a tractor or become a wheat farmer...I could set him up nicely!!

Will keep an eye on this forum, would love to see the strips based on your pics!!

:cheers: Cheers!!

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:25 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hey VV

Postby modfan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:56 am

Perhaps if you submitted a photo of Ford Mo. Co's 1959 to 1961 Canadian Meteors or any uniquely Canadian Car (1960 Frontenac?). That would be a hoot. I actually saw a 61 Canadian Meteor once, was wondering if I dremed it but no I actually saw one (in a garage in Calif. no less).

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:11 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Last edited by Gnomus on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Vintage_Vixen
Modern Groupie

Postby Vintage_Vixen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Thanks Gnomus!! Will check 'em out! I was kinda thinking about some of the roadside architecture we have around here (no igloos, but we do have a Santa Claus & a Snowman the size of Paul Bunyon!! LOL) I think I'll send in a few photos and see if they catch Mr. G's eye!!

Mod Fan...Yeah aren't our Canadian Fords cute??!?? I do believe that we get the same models as y'all do south of our border these days. I used to be married to a good ol' boy from Texas...and I heard a cute story from my ex B-I-L once.....he said that the Chevy Nova did not sell well for GM in Mexico...the reason?!? No va means it 'doesn't go' in Spanish.....! Maybe Ford was thinking by naming a model something Canadian like "Frontenac" we'd get all patriotic & misty eye'd and buy in droves!! Couldn't even tell you if it was a popular model...it was a little bit before my time (just a bit now.... I'll ask my Mom if it was a 'cool' car!!) Thanks for the pic links!

SDR - Laughing my butt off...alternate universe!! It sure seems that way sometimes....my ex used to say Canada was a 3rd world country........you'd think we still lived in igloos!! (Only in the winter these days!! :wink: )

Cheers!!

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Zippy will be visiting the relatively new Googie In-N-Out burger joint in Westwood tomorrow (7/27). You can see it for free the day after on Bill Griffith's website.

Coming up:
8/1 -- the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas
8/9 -- Hamburger Mary's in Palm Springs
9/2 -- Griff's Hamburgers in Albuquerque (geez, I've been getting around a lot lately!)

The Griff's strip is about Zippy and Griffy searching for a new fast food mascot since "Big Boy lost his sense of humor." As it turns out, after the last strip using Big Boy (2/19, in which Zippy walks by quoting lyrics from "Me & The Devil Blues" by Robert Johnson), Griffith received a cease and desist letter from the Big Boy Corporation!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Can you post your picture of Griffs in NM.

There were several Griffs in Kansas City, most built by a company called Valentine Diner.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”