today's Zippy...

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Gnomus
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Gnomus » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:54 pm

Sorry, I don't have a place on the Web to store photos.

I saw a few of the old Valentine Diners on my Route 66 road trip in April. I drove hungry for hours to reach the one in Winslow, AZ, but it was closed and awaiting restoration. Were the Griffs made using enameled steel as well?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:36 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:15 am

The A frame design you posted is similar to the one in Albuquerque, except the structure in front in much larger and has a horizontal roof line. Since the A frame is pushed back, it is much less noticeable.

And yes, the little chef's called Griffy, which is also Bill Griffith's nickname.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:36 am

Here is an erlier picture of the one in KC
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Vintage Roadside
Modern Fan

Postby Vintage Roadside » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:08 am

We're thrilled that Zippy dropped by for a visit with our A&W Burger Family today!

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Vintage Roadside
Modern Fan

Postby Vintage Roadside » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 pm

So this is your first published strip? Congrats and enjoy. As a friend of mine said when my Zippy strips started to appear: "Your cool quotient just went up ten points!"

And by all means, keep your eyes open for stuff to shoot and submit. I have found that Bill can be very unpredictable for what he will use -- so I don't try to second-guess him.

Vintage Roadside
Modern Fan

Postby Vintage Roadside » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:22 am

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 am

Moderns-R-Us,

I happened to be updating my list of Zippy strips and saw your request for a pic of Griff's. Well, I have a photo hosting account now, so I hope this is better late than never...

This is the Griff's in Albuquerque, NM

p.s. Zippy on 9/22 will feature Vincent Lugo "Monster Park" in San Gabriel!

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”