Question- What draws us to modern?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Udo Min
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question- What draws us to modern?

Postby Udo Min » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:38 pm

What was the first modern visual that got everyone on this message board hooked for life on modernism?
Enquiring minds would like to know.

Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimba » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:59 pm

GOOGIE SIGNAGE!!!!!!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:46 pm

A gift from my father.
Christmas, 1986

and I forgot to mention... the 1954 McDonald's in my hometown of Azusa- whose closing thirty years later- thrust me into the world of historic preservation.
Last edited by nichols on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Driving highway 99 at night from LA to Fresno past all those flickering neon relics from a simpler time.

That was in the early 90's, but over the years I have been able to more get a handle on what I have been longing for. About 4 years ago, I stopped in for a late night bite at a Coffee Shop south of Fresno along the 99, and I was instantly taken back to my childhood memories of family road trips. The late night dinner and pie at a neon lit coffee shop. The neon lit motels. The goofy roadside stops. The simple excitement of being somewhere different...

I guess it's hard to explain, but being 33 and not around during the mid 20th century, I have a very soft spot for that era. I find myself longing for that time. I was raised with MTV and video games, fancy electronic gadgets....and I, along with a surprising MANY in my generation, are a bit fed up with the rat-race, gotta be there yesterday, gotta have a nicer German car than my neighbor, stresscase lifestyle that seems to have taken a grip on our society.

Through lot's of internet surfing on this subject, I came across this website. So here I am...

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Perhaps it's because

Postby modfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:09 am

I grew up in that era-late 50's in So. Calif. I actually saw stuff being built all the new homes, shopping centers, restaurants, entertainment attractions and such. I wanted to see it all, but being I kid I was at the mercy of where my parents wanted to go. What I did get to see, mostly the build out of Orange County, South Bay and W. San Fernando Valley, lot and lots of tract homes, seems like builders always had at least 1 modern exterior but no more it's just Tuscan, Craftsman or French Country everywhere now-how bland and repetitive. Ya notice too that it seems there is only interest pretty much in just Eichlers and other moderns of the era. Maybe it's because so many of us grew up during that era that we remember it (fondly?). I wonder if there is any 'archive' of those 'Homebuyers Guide' magazine of that era. I know the magazine has gone thru many revisions (and it's been bought and sold many times I'm sure) and other variants published but did they think of any historical value to maintaining an archive-Hey Homebuyers Guide are you reading this?

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:49 am

Ernest W. Hahn's 1967 brutalist n' swag-lamped La Cumbre Plaza shopping mall (on upper State in SB), where mommy took me to get Keds and my first suit and so on.

That something like that could exist in mediterranean Santa Barbara floored me...of course, they've since mediterraneanized the place into near-unrecognizability.

And as for neon, the Blue Skies mobile home park star off the 101...

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Udo Min
Modern Master

Googie Signage- Could this be googie signage?

Postby Udo Min » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:27 pm

This was shot in West Columbia South Carolina
Don't know to much on its origin, other than its called Maurices piggy park & both the church & bbq eatery are owned by Maurice.
Eric

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:05 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 pm

Oooooooooo I dispise sign ordinances!!!

My mom had an aluminum tree with a color wheel too! I've looked at buying one on EBay every year, but it would have to be at our business (it has the MCM decor) and I haven't been able to justify the expense....yet!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:45 am

A reply to UdoMin -- http://www.mauricesbbq.com/history.htm ...

...that Maurice is one bad-ass cat. Check out this -- http://www.mauricesbbq.com/politics/index.html

But that's a little off-topic. This thread is about the stuff that turned us on to Modernism. Like Mr. Nichols, there was a book. For some reason, my older brother got hold of a certain tome, and he gave it to me. I was about seven or eight.

This is the book:

and it changed my life forever. I would flip through it in bed before going to sleep, and dream my fevered little 1949 dreams. As such, I became inordinately interested in time travel.

ImageImage
ImageImage

modfan

wow.....

Postby modfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:35 am

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:13 am

Udo Min
Modern Master

Drawn to Modern- rocket science

Postby Udo Min » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:32 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:06 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:10 pm

Growing up in England we did not have those seductive roadside signs, so for for wife and I, it was modern (we did not know then it was MCM) furniture design.

Thanks to Terrance Conran's marvellous Habitat store chain, our first dining chairs were moderately priced Bertoias and our table was a Sarien (sp?) copy.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:41 pm

I remember, as a child, being entranced by the seating in the Portland International Airport (Oregon) and being told by my parents that the style was called "modern". I grew up in a 1970 rambler (you Cali folks call those ranches) so I've always been partial to open floor plans and single story homes. I had inadvertently began collecting mid century modern furniture when I set off for college (many moons ago!), without knowing why or even that what I liked fit into a category. I never imagined that I would get to live in an MCM style house (since I'd only seen super great ones on tv) until after I was married and began house shopping. I'd lived in Craftsman style houses for the 14 years that I'd lived in Seattle and when our realtor showed us yet another Craftsman with a 7.5 foot basement (I'm 6'2"), we left and passed an MCM house on our way out of that neighborhood. "THAT'S IT!" I yelled. "That is the kind of house I want. That's the kind of house that our furniture would fit in!" (In the meantime between collecting random furniture and getting this house, I met and married a guy who has the same tastes) I found our house on the internet the next day and by that evening, we put in an offer. Now I'm livin' the dream.

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:22 pm

Grandma's MCM in Don Mills, Ontario.

The whole mid-90s retro meme left something in my head.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Re: Perhaps it's because

Postby Perks » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

modfan

I wonder if they

Postby modfan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:36 am

allow one to copy or scan them?
Heck if I had a laptop w/a portable scanner I'd be there all day(s).

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:45 am

I imagine you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you're in the library. I did think about scanning some stuff but at the time I didn't have a laptop/lightweight scanner and I just haven't made it back to the library for any extended length of time since then. As I mentioned, though, some of them were water-damaged so placing those on a flatbed copier/scanner might not be a fantastic idea.

I know a gentleman who is sort of the "guru" of all things tract home related, and he's been archiving brochures/flyers/magazines literally for decades. I owe him an email already, so I'll ask him what he has that might be of interest to members of this board.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:47 am

Missed this thread as I hardly ever look into this part of the forum ...

I was born in Hamburg, Germany's second biggest city which is about 90 miles south of the Danish border. We lived in a condo filled with 50s Danish furniture. I had no idea it was “modernâ€￾. Many families had similar furnishings, it was nothing special.

When I was about 14 years old, my father, who was an architect, took me to the village of Quickborn north of Hamburg and showed me a neighborhood of 67 flat roofed bungalows and two story townhouses designed by Richard Neutra. I was stunned and clearly remember that I thought they were the most beautiful homes I had seen so far. But still I wasn’t aware that they were modern and I could not have pointed out why I liked them. It was just a gut feeling.

From today’s perspective, growing up the way I did was as if “modern seedâ€￾ was planted in my brain, and seeing these Neutra homes was adding water. Yet it took another 15 years until my passion for modern really unfold and I became aware of what I like about it and why. It has since become an important part of my life.

modfan

perks re:

Postby modfan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 pm

There was a smart person. I wish I had saved a lot of the ephemera that I threw out, and I had lots and lots of it (like brochures to the some of the first homes in Valencia, Mission Viejo, Nohl Ranch (Orange), Diamond Bar and Westlake Village)

Connie
Modern Master

Re: perks re:

Postby Connie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:16 pm

Perks

Re: perks re:

Postby Perks » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:12 pm

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Modern means quality, modern means optimism and honesty. What modern has survived stands the test of time. Homes and offices, unremodeled hold their look longer than 70's and after junk. Modern is again cutting edge, different. Build your modern home or business, and you stand out from the crowd. Only modern lets you take advantage of high-tech materials and fully experience 21'st century living. I can only build modern, and living in anything less is just like living in a cardboard box.

You don't know how much I hate high pitched roofs, wood shingles, clapboard siding, and windows in any shape other than rectangles.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 01, 2007 1:19 pm

this sign started the first phone call to the Los Angeles Conservancy...

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Tue May 01, 2007 2:49 pm

When I was ten, my Dad gave me a copy of the just-released The Herman Miller Collection vol. 2, published in 1952.

It was written by George Nelson and contained pictures of his furniture,

Isamu Noguchi's furniture,

and that of several others, including much by Charles Eames.

Here's one more:

Ever since....

As an aside, a lightly used copy of this book is available on Amazon for $258.75. It contains tons of Dale Rooks and Ezra Stoller photographs and a number by Charles Eames.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 01, 2007 8:06 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”