Do you have a favorite "MCM mood" music?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SoMo
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SoMo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:09 am

Swanky
Modern Fan

Postby Swanky » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 am

It sounds like I would suggest Nicola Conte to you. Modern and retro all in one, and very peppy and even dancable, with a latin feel.

You might also want to try

Anything by or

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 am

OF COURSE, We all need our recommended daily allowance of the iconic Ultra Lounge series by Capitol.
http://www.ultralounge.com/

Glen Leslie
Modern Master

Postby Glen Leslie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:24 pm

tinkerbell5
Modern Socialite

Postby tinkerbell5 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:46 am

Hi,

Check out Daniele Luppi at his site:

http://www.danieleluppi.com/

His album, "An Italian Story" although recorded in the last few years, has an extremely retro-bossa sound. He was brought up in Venice, Italy and was very influenced by his parents' taste in music. You can hear samples of each song at the site.

His album features many of the original musicians who worked on several of the spaghetti western scores including the whistler from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."
Keep on keepin' on,
Tinkerbell5

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:18 pm

THANK YOU.

You all just nailed it! LOVE the tracks I was able to listen to on Amazon - Mel Henke was very fun; will have to get that one for sure. Also loved Nicola Conte and I've already ordered Daniele Luppi - brilliant!

Sara

tinkerbell5
Modern Socialite

Postby tinkerbell5 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Glad to help and glad to help Daniele. He's a gem of a friend and a most talented musician/writer/arranger.
Keep on keepin' on,

Tinkerbell5

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:02 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:06 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Last edited by Carlos Araujo on Mon May 14, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

Miami Modern
Modern Fan

Postby Miami Modern » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am

It's from 1963 and is the best synthesis of laid-back cool and strings that you'll ever hear. No vocals, however, but that's a good thing!
"It's the Mid-Century Modern feeling that you give me."

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 am

Try Stan Getz- he sort of introduced Jobim, Gilberto to the american scene and together they created Bossa Nova- also try Gilberto's wife Astrud Gilberto- she did an awesome cover of Fly me to the Moon used in commercials, and recently in the movie "Down with Love"
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

Miami Modern
Modern Fan

Postby Miami Modern » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:46 am

"It's the Mid-Century Modern feeling that you give me."

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:46 pm

wyneken
Modern Fan

Postby wyneken » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 am

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:43 am

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:42 pm

I do like Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66, mind you, but the previous incarnation, Brasil '65, is the ultimate stuff. Very elegant, spare, straight-ahead acoustic bossa nova featuring some excellent jazzy winds from Bud Shank. It's available on cd, but minus the cool cover art of the original Capitol lp.

mark71665
Modern Master

Burt Bachrach

Postby mark71665 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:59 am

I'm partial to Burt Bachrach, though his music is "perhaps" a little TOO obvious/overplayed, or whatever I'm trying to say. (Like saying Elvis represents the '50's and The Beatles represent the '60's in the rock scene.) Hey-nothing wrong with 'Walk On By' or 'Alfie'. I lllllike 'em, dad-gummit!

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Re: Burt Bachrach

Postby VMacek » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:15 pm

KatiePickle
Modern Groupie

Postby KatiePickle » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:09 pm

XM Radio has an online-only channel called "On the Rocks" that is all lounge, all the time.

jeffgent
Modern Socialite

Postby jeffgent » Tue May 08, 2007 12:26 pm

Java
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Java » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 pm

I hate to pitch my own radio show, but some people seem to like it. ;)

The Bachelor Pad Radio Show:

I do a live broadcast on-line every Friday night at 11pm (eastern)/8pm (pacific). During the show, we hold a live chat here at Lotta Living.

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Thu May 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

black651
Modern Fan

Esquivel

Postby black651 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 pm

I love Esquivel also!! I play a bunch of his stuff on the way to work and it never fails to get me in a good mood for the shift.

I picked up a record recently entitled "Lonesome Echo" by the "Great One", Jackie Gleason. The cover was designed by the artist, Salvador Dali. It intrigued me, and since it was in pristine condition, I forked over the fifty cents it was listed at SA and brought it home for a listen. Not bad at all. I transferred it over to my computer and now it is also on my MP3 player's MCM playlist.

I am listening to "Harlem Nocturne" right now as I post this. :)

Glen Leslie
Modern Master

Postby Glen Leslie » Sat May 12, 2007 3:49 pm

TomL
Modern Fan

Postby TomL » Sun May 13, 2007 9:17 pm

That's my wife Shan posting that Keerazy Records link.

I didn't think there was more than ONE copy of that Alcoa LP. Does your copy have anything on the back? Mine just has handwritten notes about what will eventually go there.

Hey, I redrew the lettering from Jackie Gleason's Lonesome Raod for my Keerazy Records logo.

Glen Leslie
Modern Master

Alcoa

Postby Glen Leslie » Thu May 17, 2007 7:24 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 19, 2007 1:44 pm

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... v=&browse=
i've had an old connector box to do this, but i like this one and cheap...
has anyone used this? just call me old fasioned if everyone has one...

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”