Mold-a-Rama Machines

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dustyman73
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mold-a-Rama Machines

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:13 pm

Anybody remember these?

http://www.billyseven.net/mar/moldarama.html

I was just looking through some old pamphlets from Silver Springs in Ocala, FL and remembered a trip there when I was a kid. During that trip my folks let me and my sister plug some coins into some of these machines and make our very own plastic dinosaurs. I just remember being fascinated by watching this thing make a dino out of seemingly nothing, then chuck it down the chute for me to grab!

Anyway, after a bit of net prowling, I discovered that there is a company in Tampa called Replication Devices that rehabs these things and there seems to be a resurgence in interest. There are still a number operating at a number of locations around the country. If I happen to run across one, I will undoubtedly have to cough up some change and whip up another plastic thingy.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:09 pm

I don’t remember that – pretty cool machine, though, and it reminds me of one of my favorite toys – the vacu-form.

I think the vacu-form was made by Mattel. That was a toy I’m sure they couldn’t market nowadays because of the danger of the heating element – but it was a very cool toy.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I remember that

Postby modfan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:40 am

Machine, the one I saw and bought from was either at Disneyland or L. A. County Fair (fair probably). You put your money in and the machine made a small model of a multi masted ship.
The plastic was almost wax like.

I think when VW introduced the 'new Beetle' they had a similar machine that would make a 'new Beetle' coin bank at auto shows. The line was super long to get one.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:58 pm

Vac-u-Form (gotta love that googie name) was my favorite childhood toy. I can't tell you how many times I burned myself on the runny, super-heated plastic.

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:17 pm

I use to get a gorilla everytime I went to the LA zoo and spend the car ride home peeling at the excess seams. I know that they still had the machines up to 10 years ago. Has anyone been to the zoo lately?

Someone needs to donate one of these to the Musee Mechanique in SF for their collection.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:21 pm

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:17 pm

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:17 pm

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten

http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

Java
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Java » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:35 pm

If you're ever in Chicago, The Field Museum has some dino mold-a-rama's near the McDonald on the ground floor. I think they have 3 or 4. I was there last weekend and saw two for sure. Sorry, Tut, but those mold-a-rama machines are still the coolest thing there!

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:44 pm

I hear the Field museum is an absolute must see. Hopefully on the next midwest jaunt I can get in there. I'll be sure to hit up the Mold-a-Rama machines.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:36 am

I first saw one of these machines at Sears in the early '70s. I can't remember, right now, what it made.

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

Mold-a-Rama in Minnesota

Postby happy modernists in MN » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 am

There are a TON of these machines still in use at the Como Zoo in St. Paul, MN. Funny, my husband, daughter and I were just there and saw at least 5 of them (polar bear, lion, a seal, and some others I can't remember). We just moved back to the twin cities area where I grew up, and my hubby's getting a little bored of my constant stories of my childhood, and he got an earfull when we came across the first machine we saw. Somebody has kept these machines in perfect shape, and god it was great to smell that plastic again.
Kristin in MN not TN
I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Re: Mold-a-Rama in Minnesota

Postby Dustyman73 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:21 pm

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

Postby happy modernists in MN » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:37 pm

I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:16 am

cosmiccreations
Modern Groupie

Christmas Mold-a Rama

Postby cosmiccreations » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:59 pm

In Toledo, Ohio they have this classic WinterWonderland exhibit 43 years and going. When you come out at the end of the displays they have at various mold a ramas.

CHOIR ANGEL - PINK
MICKEY MOUSE – DARK SKY BLUE
REINDEER - MAUVE
SANTA - RED
SNOWMAN - WHITE
TRAIN ENGINE (steam) – BROWN
Let's just say I was pretty excited to see these because I too collected these in the early 70's.

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Re: Christmas Mold-a Rama

Postby Dustyman73 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:49 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 am

Chicago's Field and Science & Industry museums as well as Lincoln Park Zoo have the machines (maybe Brookfield Zoo & Shedd Aquarium too). I had a few as a kid myself, but of course didn't keep any. My kids have been collecting these things since they were old enough to walk. They have about 20: All sorts of animals & dinosaurs, a steam locomotive, a John Deere tractor, the U505 German sub.

We bought a penguin for my niece some years back at the zoo. Handed it to her while it was still warm. She had never seen one before, and apparently thought it was candy. Before we could stop her, she bit off the head.

We were at Field the other day & my youngest popped for one she didn't have, an orange stegasaurus. Wha wha whaaaa, the plastic injector misfired and half the back fins were missing. Never happened to us before. We walked over to the nearby Egyptian exhibit gift shop to see if we could get her $1.50 back. The lady at the counter, nice as she could be, said "here, let's trade." She reached under the register and pulled out a perfect one. Now that's customer service.

Speaking of the Field -- Tiki fan alert: They installed a full size Maori (spelling?) lodge a few years back. It's something to see, and fits in well with the museum's collection of traditional South Pacific costumes and carvings.

KatiePickle
Modern Groupie

Postby KatiePickle » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:18 am

I don't know if they still have them or not, but about 5 or 10 years ago there were a lot of these at the Brookfield Zoo just outside of Chicago. My mom still has a bunch of them. I loved watching them when I was little!

SignOfTimes
Modern Groupie

Postby SignOfTimes » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:42 pm

The Zoo in Milwaukee Wisconsin still has these. They have such a distinct smell, and everytime I smell the machine working and creating the mold of whatever object it is, it brings back memories from when I was a kid.. at the zoo of course. I even have a few of the Zoo animal creations packed away someplace.
Kevin

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Re: Mold-a-Rama Machines

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm

|

atomsmasher
Modern Groupie

Postby atomsmasher » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:12 am

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:40 pm

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:18 am

That same dolphin that is in the u-tube flick was at Marineland, I always wanted one, but they had cooler Tikis in the gift shop. Thanks for the memory.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”