Movie buffs - looking for name of a movie

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Movie buffs - looking for name of a movie

Postby SoMo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:30 am

If you're up to the challange....

OK, this is going to be a hard one I think. Mostly due to the fact that I don't recall all that much about the movie, and can't even tell you who was in it. But am hoping that if I just give you a bit of the plot, someone out there just might know exactly what I'm talking about. Here goes.

Back in March - I'm thinking like the first or second of March. I was busy cleaning and preparing the house for our baby's arrival and was half way watching a movie on either AMC or TCM. I was really enjoying the movie, but wasn't concentrating too much on it (was nervous/excited/busy because the next day I was driving to DFW airport to pick up my new son ariving from Korea). Anyway, it was about a neighborhood of friends who were all preparing for a dinner party at one of the neighbor's homes. So we were seeing the behind closed doors relationships of these couples as they're getting dressed up and ready to go (some rocky, some nice relationships) - and then the public faces once they get to the dinner party. Was in color, probably early 60's.

I know this is a very odd request; and I'm really not expecting much. But thought I'd give it a shot. Wanting to revisit the movie because I was really enjoying the look of their homes and kitchens and clothes and would love the chance to see the movie again now that my household has calmed down a bit and I actually have time to watch a movie now and then! (Baby Max is now 16 mos.)

Thanks,
Sara

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:07 am

By a million miles, I'm not a movie buff. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought I'd give it a read and it turns out that your descriptions ring a bell. So was it the "The Ice Storm"? ()

Was this party that you speak of happening during the holidays season - possibly New Years Eve - and at a modern house?

Have a look at the imdb website link to seek for more information about the movie.

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:35 pm

Nope - sorry MCMAdmirer, nice try though. (Love that movie by the way. Kevin Kline = YUM)

The one I'm thinking of was actually made in the late 50's or early 60's.

Sara

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:11 pm

AMC still has their old schedules out there:
http://www.amctv.com/guide/0,,3-2-2006-M--N-EST,00.html
I don’t see anything in early March that matches your description, but you might see something that I didn’t.

I didn’t see anything similar on the TCM site. They do put out a program guide each month, though, so maybe someone with back issues will come to your rescue.

Congratulations about Baby Max, Sara!

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:59 am

Thanks, Sky.

I spent about an hour yesterday looking over the late Feb, early March schedule for AMC, too, and didn't find it either. And didn't find the TCM site too helpful. I guess it's possible it was on some other channel, or at this point I'm wondering if it was all just a wonderful MCM inspired dream!

Sara

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:42 pm

"No Down Payment"?
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:10 pm

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm thinking "No Down Payment" might just be the movie I'm thinking of!

And if it is - - why, oh why, did I have to suddenly fixate on some obscure movie that isn't out on VHS or DVD? UGH!!!!

I'll be checking ebay on a regular basis to see if I can find a not so officially released copy. ;-)

Thank you all so much for your help.

Sara

amyg
Modern Fan

Postby amyg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:30 pm

That movie sounds great! I want to see it too!

The results of a quick google search make me think that is your movie and you saw it on Fox Movie Channel:

And another quick google search has turned up a possible source for the DVD. It's listed about 1/2 way down the page:

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:17 am

amyg
Modern Fan

Postby amyg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:33 am

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:40 pm

See MD v2.0 (beta)! I'm not such a dumb blonde after all! By the way, the movie is VERY sad!! But seeing the decor/houses, clothing, cars, and the town, etc. are worth it!
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:17 am

Just an update - I ordered "No Down Payment" from www.cinemacom.com about 12 days ago. I haven't gotten any indication from them yet if they've received my order, or if and when it's going to be sent. I'll let you all know if it shows up and what the quality is like.

Sara

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Movie came today in the mail and it was not the movie I saw last March. BUT, it was good. Very dark, not what I was expecting, but good.

Also, was pretty impressed with the quality of DVD I got from cinemacom.com. Was obviously taped from TV, but if I didn't already know that I would have thought it was studio released and rented from my corner movie place. Would buy from them again.

SO -- I continue my quest for finding that movie.

Sara

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 am

I too thought it must have been No Down Payment. Do you remember anything else about the movie? Was anyone famous in it? Did any of the characters talk about their jobs? Their was a good movie on not too long ago called Strangers When We Meet, starring Kim Novak and Kirk Douglas, which featured some interesting interior and exterior shots. Douglas' character was an architect. The plot wasn't quite what you mentioned though.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”