The Tesla - Electric Roadstar

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Tesla - Electric Roadstar

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:17 pm

Changing a roadster into a Roadstar!

This is my idea of tomorrow today:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11443_7-65 ... tml?tag=ss

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:16 am

Love that car, but unfortunately, I don't think we're quite there yet Chris...

It's just a "rebodied" with an electric engine... & the Elise goes for less than half that price.

I think that this car is just the new gadget for those who have more money than imagination.

Kudos to Tesla's marketing for seeing this though.
Last edited by MD² on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:25 am

It would be a lot cooler if it looked like Jay Leno's Blastolene:

But I guess you can't have everything.

Also, with the Tesla name on it, shouldn't it run on AC wireless electrotherapeutical ionized polyphase particle beams and have a death ray?

MD²

Postby MD² » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:52 am

If you like lightweight (fast) electric cars, do checkout what I wrote about

And about Leno's Tank-Car :D
You should know that this car was designed around a 1792in³ (29L !!!!) V-12 Continental-designed, Chrysler-built, fuel injected twin turbocharged air-cooled 1950s engine, with 1600 hp and 3000-lb.-ft of torque.

Nathan

Here's where I go off on the electric car

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:44 pm

Let's see if I have this right. It takes 1 Horsepower to drive a person on a bike to 60 mph. And 50 to drive that same person in a car. Now, if you move beyond simple moral relativism, into the rational world of judging things by efficiency and inefficiency, cars are, uh, dumb. Plus, cars, electric or not, can hit dogs, and therefore all cars have to go.

Indulge me a moment while I muse on the electric car, again, let me see if I have this right. (If the following sounds like mere random spleen-venting, then that's probably what it is, and you may wish I get a splenectomy, and as such, I invite y'all to tear apart my assertions as you see fit. Just keep it positive and friendly, as the Pleasantville dictate says.)

Ok. Every day I hear people go on about how the Prius releases no emissions. The Prius has an internal combustion engine and releases on average a ton of poison per year. And by ton, I mean that literally, not figuratively.

Electric cars have been shown to disrupt the electrical current in your body. There are cases you've heard of about cell phone use causing cancer? That's one tiny, tiny little battery. The battery in an electric car is freaking huge. For lack of proper terminology, driving one makes you all, uh, funky.

Electrics are dirty. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Ironically, two of the worst pollution sites are recycling yards (think about that the next time you feel good throwing bottles and cans in your blue bin) and battery disposal. Used batteries are basically toxic waste. I'd rather live next to a landfill full of medical waste than a battery disposal place.

I was sitting in a hot tub at a tony mineral spring the other day. As you might imagine, the hot tub was full of upper middle-class White liberals who were going on about the war, and how it was just about oil, etc. And I asked, how did you get here? Yes, they drove. And I asked about their eating habits and whether they ever went shopping -- they bought produce from Costa Rica and bought Moroccan day beds, etc. -- and I asked, how did that stuff get here? On a magic fairy zeppelin powered by air and love?

The point is, only 16% of the oil we extract and import goes to cars and trucks. The vast majority goes to manufacturing. Everything you own, you owe a debt to Gulf, Mobil, ConocoPhillips, et al. We're only addicted to oil because we want it so much. Not need it so much. Want it so much.

What does this have to do with electric cars? Everything. War is not the answer? No--war is not the question. Alternatives? Wind generation is a healthy way to feed the grid? Wind generation is a symptom, the grid is the problem. Electric cars are a problem because they're cars. If we keep making more people and building developments over what's left of our land, 300 million all-electric cars are not going to make it a utopia.

(Oh yeah, and if cars run on corn-fuel, that just means millions of acres of pesticide-laden agricultural runoff.)

LottaLiviners, please forgive my rambling runon about this topic. I've been up all night and am (therefore) obviously a little emotional about the subject. But I hope I've provided some things to think about and perhaps my blather will spark a lively discussion on the issue -- because if we're here to talk about Modernity -- as envisioned by Hugh Ferriss, or Archizoom, or whomever, anticipatory thinking demands that we consider the electric car from all sides.

My take on the matter: on a scale of 1 to 10, electric cars are a 3. A vehicle run on compressed air, which is now being designed in a Malibu laboratory, is a 6. If air-cars can be designed to not hurt doggies running across the street, it gets a 10+.

Maybe this is a whole 'nother thread. Maybe I should just go back to just posting Zippy cartoons. In any event, I've said what I've said, for what it's worth.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will now drive my car to the supermarket, instead of riding my bike to the farmer's market. While not comfortable with my status as a balls-out hypocrite, at least I admit it. (I would have ridden my bike to the local organic farmer's market yesterday, but my 1950 English Schwinn got ripped off from my garage last week.)

Al Gore has four children. George Bush has two. That alone is why you should vote for George Bush. An ugly thought, but if you care about the "footprint" of the planet, logically, you vote for George Bush. Both Libs and Cons think "well, my children will be different, because I'll educate them" -- you cite me one instance where a child has turned out like their parents, and I'll retract my assertion.

And that's my purge for the day. On to more fun and friendly matters --

More on Mr. Leno's ride:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp ... le_id=8789

And if you sit through the commercial at the beginning of this http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/ind ... idID=43552 you will be richly rewarded.

Dang! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Leno%27s_vehicles

MD²

Postby MD² » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi Nathan, have you thought about how much pollution results in the production of electricity for the car's batteries (per mile)?

:wink:

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Re: Here's where I go off on the electric car

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:22 am

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:28 am

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:36 am

MD²

Postby MD² » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:07 am

Well, as I've pointed out before, the more electricity we use, the , so it's somewhat of a vicious circle. Until the US decides to produce electricity otherwise, the planet's greenhouse gases emission won't diminish.

I see this could easily turn into an endless debate, so why not just talk about cool cars: MCM ones, electric ones or Jay Leno ones... :wink:

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:19 am

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:18 am

MD²

Postby MD² » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:04 pm

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:18 pm

MD²

Postby MD² » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:47 pm

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”