Mrs. Elva Miller-Pop Legend

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mark71665
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mrs. Elva Miller-Pop Legend

Postby mark71665 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:31 pm

http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp?AlbumID=77
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/yorik/millerv.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGYTrXDF2DU
http://www.mrsmillersworld.com/

Folks, this is Mrs. Elva Miller of Claremont, CA. This dear lady made her dent in the 1960's pop scene with her rather...UNIQUE...heavily vibratoed singing voice, even doing a USO tour in Vietnam. She was the least likely of all to become a pop star, but she had a charm about her that won the hearts of hip young teens. She actually recorded several hot-selling albums with Capitol Records! Watch the 'Youtube' clip and watch the audience respond to her. It's really pretty interesting to see them go from this: :( :x :oops: :? :| :roll: to this: :o :wink: :) :P :D to this: :lol: \:D/ :clap: :mr green: :Bow:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:52 am

My good pal Mr. Gary Owens just told me that he "discovered" Mrs. Miller! An organist he worked with also worked with Mrs. Miller in Claremont and he thought she was "really something" and produced her first record in 1962.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:40 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

TomL
Modern Fan

Postby TomL » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:47 pm

I have a slew of records that came out in the wake of Mrs Miller. An old man doing Stones and Beatles covers, a Tijuana Brass knock-off with old ladies on the cover instead of the hot chick. She was in the film The Cool Ones where most of the songs are by Lee Hazlewood.

I have a 1950s banjo lp, where it sounds like she is supplying backup. Can't be sure of course, but it sounds like her.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:24 pm

I believe Jo Stafford, a singer in the 'forties (at least) made a spoof album with a male pianist, whose hands appeared on the keyboard, in the album cover photo. It took a moment to realize that they were both left hands !

I may have this completely mixed up. Who is old enough to remember any of this ?

SDR :roll:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:23 pm

I wasn't a "hip young teen" in the 60s, but I remember Mrs. Miller. None of my friends listened to her records (for obvious reasons). As for that YouTube clip, it's from a movie and the audience is being directed, so it's not a reliable indicator of how young people responded to her.

My generation has had to put up with a lot of slander, but this is too much!

mark71665
Modern Master

Staged

Postby mark71665 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:10 am

It was staged, huh? I see...I was a teen in the early '80's, myself...also not so hip. (Or so says my middle school-aged stepdaughter who, upon examining my senior yearbook photo, said to me, "You were never cool. You were always a geek!")---Yes, K. I was cool at one time. Then I got old and went to work and paid bills. The "cool" just kind-of slipped away! :) Each generation gets 'slandered' by the next, it seems...

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Mrs. Miller is OK, but I'm a total fan of the froggy-voiced stylings of Leona Anderson - I'd love to get a copy of her 'Music to Suffer By' lp.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”