"I'm getting sick of seeing mid-century sofas"

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

"I'm getting sick of seeing mid-century sofas"

Postby MCMAdmirer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Miami Modern
Modern Fan

Postby Miami Modern » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 am

I don't watch the show, but apparently a lot of other people don't either, as The O.C. has been cancelled. That'll teach 'em to insult MidMod! :evil:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6231603.stm

You'll also see many, many commercials catering to the so-called "Generation X" with MidMod homes and buildings in the background, since it is that generation that likes the MidMod style. It's interesting to note the differences in view between the Baby Boomers and subsequent generations. Whereas the Boomers rejected much of their parents' values and accomplishments, the Gen-X (or Y) embraced their grandparents' accomplishments and recognized the optimism in MidMod.
"It's the Mid-Century Modern feeling that you give me."

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:26 pm

Miami Modern
Modern Fan

Postby Miami Modern » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:17 pm

It seems to have down here in Florida. Local news, which always has tons of commercials for furniture companies has one with a "Loungey"
Bossa Nova piece playing while trying to sell commercial-weary me MIdMod-inspired sectionals and the like.

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:45 am

Miami Modern
Modern Fan

Postby Miami Modern » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 pm

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

Postby MsJVonFink » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Yes I saw that episode too, and thought it was quite an odd line. But it didn't shock me so much as the references to punk bands and the posters that lined Seth's bedroom walls in the first season (like The Jam, and a mention of The Cramps). I Figure there were some hipsters behind the scenes (set design, writers) that throw in references to cool stuff now and again. Another good example, a random reference to NPR's "This American Life" in one show. Thought that was pretty funny.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think mid-century, in as far as sofas are concerned, is quite popular amongst the city-dwelling class that can afford them.

wyneken
Modern Fan

Postby wyneken » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:38 am

For the record, I watched both of the first two seasons of the O.C. with my 16-y.o. daughter on DVD. It's much hipper than I expected it to be. I didn't catch the MCM reference, but I think it should be taken in a positive light -- the (wryly humorous) point is probably that the character is so ultra-cool, or wants to be seen that way, that she is already sick of a trend that nobody else has even discerned yet.

What I find interesting about this, though, is the idea that mid-century design is still edgy and distinctive enough to inspire strong feelings, one way or the other.

Maybe I posted this before, but I knew for sure that I was on the right track with my new house, design- and philosophy-wise, when I struck up a conversation in a used book store where I was hoping to find some period references to provide inspiration. The owner is an old hippie acquaintance, and I explained what I was trying to accomplish, and even pulled out a handy color palette (the "Suburban Modern" range from Sherwin-Williams) to make the point.

This guy -- I'm not kidding -- physically recoiled in horror.

"I go in for earth tones, myself," he said weakly.

The only other customer (a boomer-age lady in a plaid shirt who works as a counselor at the state prison), contented herself with the observation, "Hey, don't worry -- I just spent the morning listening to a man who shot his ex-wife in the face with a shotgun. I don't make judgments." Her personal color scheme, she said firmly, extends to green, white, and off-white.

I think there is a generational aspect to this, but I can't quite define what it is. In a strange way, I almost feel like my own taste for Modernism is like a rebellion against my own youthful anti-Modern (or post-Modern) prejudices. If somebody had told me, while I was lying around stoned and listening to Hendrix on stereo headphones and gazing blurrily at blacklight posters, that someday my music collection would contain 500 Frank Sinatra tracks, I would have ... well, I can't imagine.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”