What's a good price on this GE stereo/turntable/coffee...

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scott NC
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Scott NC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:26 am

table console? It's in great condition other than that stain on top which would just need refinishing.
Model RC4851

Thanks!

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Postby AJ Fisher » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:45 am

Does the unit have good sound? Are all of the dials intact?

Has it had an overhaul yet? If not, you can expect to pay perhaps as much as $300 to $400 to have the condensers/capacitors replaced. I went through this process recently:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12439

I would not pay more than $100, especially considering the stain. It's often said that condition is everything. I am not a stereo expert. It's a neat design however.

-AJ

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:07 am

sound is great. No humming...yet. It's almost as if the stereo and turntable hadn't been used. Both of those are perfect. Only thing is when I first turn it on and turn the volume dial fast, you just get that tiny bit of scratchy static sound, but goes right away aafter a few seconds. It's just the top veneer piece that could use the fixing.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 am

I am pretty much in agreement with AJ.

Its a nice piece without a doubt. The turntable is Gerrard which is a quality brand.

Most of my stereo gear is vintage (even my cd player is circa 1984). The problem is that this stuff is three or more decades old. Anything like that (think of classic cars) has old or worn parts and failure is only a matter of time.

Of course it can be redone, but at a price. So you have to figure the price includes the imminent restoration expenses. I grabbed a great Magnavox mini console for $45- that was the cheap part. The bright side is that for the right price for the right tech, this piece will sound like it did when it came out of the factory and could well last another 30 or 40 years.

Now, there are some things you can do yourself. Get a replacement cartridge for the turntable. Easy enough. And that static can be cured. Go inside and find the volume pot. Spray some electronic contact cleaner (Caig Deoxit is the best) on it and turn it both ways around 50 times. Repeat and let dry. That should get rid of it. In fact, spray all the switches and pots with the stuff.

Good luck. :d:

scotty
Modern Fan

Postby scotty » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Also agree on the price. A beautiful piece, but just very hard to sell for $100, needing some work. I love my vintage dishwasher(1958), hi-fi(1962), refrigerator(1956), side by side kenmore washer and driers(1952), but not many people are willing (or want to) mess with these things. If your piece of furniture were refinished you could sell it for more as a very nice piece of furniture.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”