Something very Eames to put that TV in!

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Something very Eames to put that TV in!

Postby Dr. Swanky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 pm

While very midcentury, not Eames. The Eames were designers not a style. Unlike ebay or Craig's list, no one around here would refer to everything mid century as "Eames"

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:58 pm

And likely one could argue that Mid-Century Modern is not a style but at its best a philosophy and at its worst merely something designed during the middle of the 20th century. Personally, I don't understand using the term 'mid-century" to describe anything of current production. Either it's from the mid-century or it's not.

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

My apologies

Postby Dr. Swanky » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

So sorry to have offended. I just saw something that I thought might be useful for someone and thought I would pass it on.

I have to add, though, that many people talk about new products (e.g. Crestview Doors) as mid-century in style. So I don't think I was so out of line.

But again, just thought it was something that people might enjoy.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I doubt anyone was offended. And I really did not mean to be bitchy or mean. (although I often come off that way according to friends and family :oops: ) It's just that I think Charles and Ray Eames (Ray being his wife) deserve better than to have anything and everything "mid century modern" attributed to them. Everything on ebay being referred as "Eames era" I just find irritating. I'm not sure why. It's like the realtor in the real estate thread calling the 50's ranch house "deco" I guess it points to the failure of arts education in the U.S.

Now if I were trying to talk about or sell sports memorabilia I'm sure I would come off as clueless...... :oops:

Actually, when TV cabinets like this where current, this style would have been called "contemporary" or "modern"
There would also have been a traditional or Mediterranean version and an
"early american" maple one. Maybe even a black lacquer "Chinese modern" one.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Eames? More like McCobb :wink:

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

Again, my apologies

Postby Dr. Swanky » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Ok Ok! I got it! I screwed up with the Eames thing. Gosh! You all sure are welcoming aren't you?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:28 pm

chill out swanky - no one was offended and egads apologized.

i find it quite "eamesy" myself.

whaddya say - we all try to get that term adopted - eamesy would get picked up by search engines and i think ray would approve. she was so whimsy herself. she'd like eamesy stuff!

look at this painting - isn't it eamesy?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:59 pm

scotty
Modern Fan

Postby scotty » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:25 am

I like the word Eames. I can zoom right in on auctions that I want to look at, even thought it might not be technically correct. I also use other key words but Eames is one of the best!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”