WTD: Place to buy "Modern" Furniture Legs??

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
shannanigan
Modern Socialite

WTD: Place to buy "Modern" Furniture Legs??

Postby shannanigan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:31 am

Does anyone know of a place online where you can buy either the bent metal legs or angled wood legs used on Mid-Century furniture? All I'm finding is Colonial/Shaker?whatever stuff so far...

My father said he'd help me make a couple of occasional tables (seeing as that stuff is so basic) but the problem is the legs. You can still get round tapered legs, but they don't look right because they don't sit at an angle.
Trying to keep it simple so he won't change his mind buy purchasing legs... :D
-

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:46 am

the rounded legs are the ones that i have used for that MidMod look.
the thing that makes them angled is the square metal plate that they screw into.

home depot and lowes carry both straight and angled corner metal plates.

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:55 am

Thanks... so are yours all wood or do they have the metal "caps" on the ends?

I found a site that sells the hairpin legs!

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_home.js ... =-1&mode=1

I just remembered the name of them... now I'm finding quite a few things.
Sweet....
-

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:09 am

wood with metal tips are the ones they typically sell. you can leave 'em raw or stain or paint 'em

here's a pic with straight (not angled) plates

CapitalMod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:19 am

I had the same search a few months ago when I wanted to replace the legs on my boomerang formica table/stereo stand (one of my more eccentric pieces).

Anyway, when searching vendor sites, use keywords such as "tapered" or "chrome" for ones that have the modern look.

I actually ended up getting mine off of eBay. I wanted curved, metal ones but I have seen many classic danish modern ones on there. Use the usual buzzwords like "retro", "eames", "space age", etc and you will find some.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:52 am

Shannanigan:

Those hairpin ones are a great find! I am now considering swapping the ones I found for those. ***

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:38 pm

you can try www.roomandboard.com
they sell some MCM-esque legs

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Mid-Century tapered legs

Postby the50sguy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:18 pm

As I was reading this post I couldn't help but put my two cents in...

Most of the 50's/mid century tapered legs that I have found have been from thrift stores or yard sales. Usually, I will find an old night stand or dilapitated table with decent, original-style legs on them. The table or night stand usually sell for $5-$10 or less and there you have a complete set of legs.

Most, if not all, furniture and table legs of that time were round and tapered with brass or chrome casters (or ferreles) on the tapered ends as seen below:

As you can see, there were many shapes and sizes, including an all metal, brass plated leg (as seen in the middle), but no matter the size and shape, the legs usually had a brass tip on the ends. Also, the brass tip stayed tapered with the leg, as well. Today's Home Depot/Ace/Lowe's tapered leg has the brass tip, but it doesn't continue with the tapered design of the leg. It's now more inset:

In my opinion, they look kind of cheap, but unfortunately that's about all the industry has to offer nowadays. I would search 50 thrift stores and yard sales before buying these legs. Nothing looks better than the original style. Especially, if you are going to put them on your original MCM or 50's piece.

kitschywoman
Modern Fan

Postby kitschywoman » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:14 am

I'd check eBay for the hairpin legs, Shannanigan. There are several sets up right now that will go for far less than what that website wants. I've also seen some listed in eBay stores.

Yes, I'm a cheapo. :oops:

Heidi
Modern Socialite

Postby Heidi » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:24 pm

Most definitely check ebay -- I've picked up several different sets (hairpin, tapered) at a great price........
------------------------
Heidi

http://www.beaumondeprograms.com
http://laurelcanyoncenter.com: where the creative people go.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:08 pm

Checked out, from the library, Todd Oldham's "Handmade Modern" and he lists this source for MCM-type legs

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:53 pm

For close to 50 years, my extraordinarily heavy marble coffee table rested on three metal tapered legs like the ones above. Just a few days ago, completely out of the blue, it started leaning to one side during a game of Scrabble... when I moved it slightly, the whole thing collapsed and the leg had cracked all the way through. I looked around hardware stores and found those cheapie pine ones shown above, but not in 13" So even if I did go with those they would be 5" or something like 21" and not work with my table. ("Early American" and "Traditional" come closest to my size.) Waah. Maybe I can get an iron shop to fabricate some hairpins for the ol' girl.... or I'll check eBay like folks suggested here. Thanks!

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:31 pm

pagoda
Modern Groupie

Postby pagoda » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:25 pm

i build them. stainless steel or hot rolled heavy guage stock. built by furniture makers for furniture makers...

http://www.ianmaclean.com/hairpinleg.html

suz
Modern Groupie

Postby suz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:16 pm

Hey there ... in searching on ebay a few months back, I came across a great resource that you might be interested in. They specialize in MCM furniture parts and restoration. They're located in Venice, CA.

http://www.humemodern.com/sales/sales.html

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 am

lowes and home depot have slowly phased out their legs and now only have afew sizes left.

alas - alak.
what's a girl to do?

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”