WTD: Modern Christmas anyone ?

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
photowoman68
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

WTD: Modern Christmas anyone ?

Postby photowoman68 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:35 pm

Well, the holidays are upon us. Can anyone direct me to a company or site that would sell modern Christmas decorations?
"If you want a more interesting life, you couldn't do anything better than live within fine architecture"-John Lautner- Architect

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 pm

I was just poking around the CB2 site (Crate & Barrel's mod sister?) and found some great Christmas ornaments:

The finial, orb glass and snowflake ornaments and the mercury look especially apropos. ***

If you want to buy vintage, I love the glass bead sprays. Here's a nice example:

I stumbled over a small box of bead sprays at a church rummage sale years ago; I think the entire box cost $5. (Much less of a bargain than it seems when you consider how much I've spent augmenting my collection since then!)

Jean

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:17 pm

Someone should come up with some little case study homes X-mas tree ornaments!

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:38 am

Last year the store Hold Everything was selling a line of modern Christmas decorations designed by Jonathan Adler, but they don't seem to be available this season.

Future collectible?

kitschywoman
Modern Fan

Postby kitschywoman » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:32 am

Speaking of vintage Christmas, has anyone read the following book...

And they do have some mod Christmas decorations in their store, so I haven't completely hijacked this thread.

You can get aluminum trees here, but eBay's your best bet for low prices...

...and for sheer amusement value...

roxy500
Modern Master

Re: WTD: Modern Christmas anyone ?

Postby roxy500 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:45 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:08 am

spacyjane
Modern Fan

Modern Xmas Decorations

Postby spacyjane » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:06 am

Mid-Century Modern essentials. Visit us at http://www.modernabode.com

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:07 am

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:12 am

it seems to me that a true mid century tree would have vintage Shiny Brite glass xmas balls (either plain, mica striped or the indents), and the large chunky ceramic or glass multicolored lights. Aluminum tree (no tinsel required), or regular tree (bottle brush if fake) with real metal tinsel (not the plastic acetate stuff) laid on the tree one at a time, or glass bead garland. Also, fiberglass Angel Hair around the base of the tree. Foil star with light in the middle, or Shiny Brite tree topper. Now THAT's a mid century tree.

Better Homes and Gardens had craft books with modern looking home decorations, some very cool, if you're in the crafty mood.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:54 pm

The INdents. . .? Omigod -- I forgot. Like something off an Oldsmobile, or something -- PERfectly fifties. They were made by a company called Shiny Brite ? These were round (maybe) but also an elongated shape -- like a sphere drawn out into a point at either end ? Silver, and other shiny metallic colors (red, obviously -- and what else ?).

Did I get any of that right ?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

khummer
Modern Master

Adler - went to their NYC showroom

Postby khummer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:33 pm

Adler will have the minimalism decor ready for '06. Cool and funky. I think they are on target with this one. Silver galore.

photowoman68
Modern Fan

Ebay rules!;-)

Postby photowoman68 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I had fun looking on ebay. FYI, this year Urban Outfitters has retro aluminum trees. They are little, but fun for a modern space. They come in several colors. Crate and Barrel has some small modern red trees for the table or mantle and mercury style xmas balls. I'd love to find a young designer who has come up with something really fresh. :D
"If you want a more interesting life, you couldn't do anything better than live within fine architecture"-John Lautner- Architect

contos
Modern Fan

Postby contos » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:04 pm

West Elm also has some tinsel trees (not quite as cool as the aluminum vintage trees, but they are pretty cool). And, you can get a 5 footer! I also like their mirrored glass garland and they have some cute ornaments.

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:23 am

Shiny Brite is still producing the same ornaments (the company was bought by Christopher Radko a few years ago). SDR, you must be thinking about the glass ornaments with reflectors...

Here's the ShinyBrite site:

And here's an eBay seller who seems to have a ton of Shiny Brite:

A lot of these things seem more mid-century tacky than mid-century modern...
Of course, one woman's tacky is another woman's FABulous...
Jean

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:33 pm

indents sometimes were like the ones shown, sometimes they had little figures/scenes in them. Personally, I like the striped mica ones. Radko did buy out the shiny brite name, but I like the original ones, if only because they usually have a little tarnish on them, which adds character. I have huge ones, and little 1" ones, and a lot in between. They look great on a tree. Just the right amount of sparkle and nostalgia.

For a really modern tree, you could swirl some paint inside a plain clear ball ornament - I had a friend do that, they looked very cool.

This site had some neat ornaments:

http://www.relishstyle.com/asp/shop.asp

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:05 pm

Hello all,
I just put my Aluminum tree up for our 1st Christmas in Chicago. This is the first holiday away from our home without our old ornaments and a real tree. I'm pretty happy with what we came up with as far as our retro tree from E-bay and our modern decorations from IKEA.
Cheers,
Mod Diva
Last edited by Mod Diva on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

photowoman68
Modern Fan

Postby photowoman68 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:22 pm

Very pretty. It's a really nice focal point in front of you beautiful window. Thanks for sharing. :D

photowoman68
Modern Fan

Postby photowoman68 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:36 pm

sumu,

I love the relishstyle.com site. very cool site for holiday presents.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:12 pm

i saw classic 1960s white plastic xmas trees for sale at walmart this weekend.

i was tempted, but i already have a silver one... soooo...

also at kmart - i got a light-up star that is EXACTLY like the one i grew up with in the late 1960s/early 1970s. it's plastic with white glittery sprinkle all over the plastic a little bit of silver tinsel around the center.

suz
Modern Groupie

Postby suz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:06 pm

I'm new here and just stumbled upon the site today ... what a fabulous resource.

I am sitting here laughing because I reeeeally wish I would have come across it prior to the holidays. I spent tons of time researching on the web trying to find MCM holiday decor. I think I drove my husband crazy sending him links from Ebay in order to find the "perfect" decorations. I'm happy to see there's a place on the web for folks who share an affinity for these items and this type of architecture.

Cheers!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:14 pm

what are you waiting for? Just 300 shopping days until Christmas! :wink:

Glad you found the site. it lots o fun!

Joe

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”