FS: 1956 Matching Sofa and Sofa Chair

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
the50sguy
Modern Socialite

FS: 1956 Matching Sofa and Sofa Chair

Postby the50sguy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 pm

Up for sale here is a very nice, modern-style sofa with matching sofa chair. They were orginally manufactured by the Kroehler Sofa factory in 1956. I bought them in pretty used, original condition for $700 at a modern funiture place in Pomona in 1998. Two years ago, I had them reupholstered with the closest nubby-style fabric I could find (and believe me, it took a few years to find it) for about $750. The upholsterer had come across the original delivery tag inside the sofa when he was working on it, which was dated "1956," from what I remember.

The set has been kept in good shape and still looks new. They are firm, yet very comfortable to sit or lay on. They also has a very sleak design that would add a finishing touch to a MCM home or 1950's-style pad. Sofa is 7 (end to end), 2' 8" (front to back) and 2' 6" tall. Sofa chair is 3' 3" (side to side), 2' 8" (front to back) and 2' 6" tall.

I'm asking $850 for the set, which isn't bad consididering that I have about $1400 invested in them between what I paid for them and having them upholstered. They are located in Pomona, California. I do not have any means of delivering them, so you would have to find a way to pick them up. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Email me at Magicmoments1950@msn.com

Image[/img]

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:10 am

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm

:( :? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :) :D

billcito
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby billcito » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:34 am

I don't mean to waste your time, but have to tell you what your ad for the 1956 Kroehler sofa and chair have done to me... !!! I hope you have sold them by now and they have a loving home, so I can get over it; but when I was a teenager we had this exact set and it was the most comfortable furniture I have ever sat on. I grew up watching 'I Love Lucy' and 'The Ed Sullivan Show' on that sofa. I saw the first appearance of Elvis on TV on that sofa. I'm retiring this year and have become very nostalgic about a lot of things, and for some reason #1 seems to be that sofa and chair! I have searched all over my region (Minneapolis/St. Paul) to no avail. Sometimes the sofa alone, wrong color; sometimes just the chair, in bad shape; etc etc etc. Ours years ago was beige, maybe the original color of yours? But you have done a beautiful job upholstering this set, it's the closest I'll ever get to the color. I want this so bad I can taste it, and your price is very reasonable. Unfortunately, I have no way to come out to Pomona, CA to get it. I can't drive anymore, and I don't know anybody out that way who would bring it to me for any price. I probably can't afford to hire a trucking company to do it. Plus, I just moved to a smaller apartment where I don't really have room for it! I only moved when I decided I would never find a Kroehler sofa and chair anyway... and of course, then there you were. Well I guess I will just have to live without and be upset the rest of my life!! But I have downloaded the photos and I will stare at them often and dream... THANKS for at least letting me have a glimpse into a happy past!!

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:29 am

billcito--A wonderful and sad story at the same time! If it's any help at all (though probably not) just remember that the memory is ALWAYS better than the tangible. Stories and experiences passed on to others affect people more vastly than anything else. So you have shared your story with us and affected me and many others I'm sure! I'm sorry you can't have the sofa in your new small apt, but thank you for sharing a wonderful piece of your life.

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:47 am

still available? it would go loverly in my livingroom! :D

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:28 pm

Billcito-

That was a nice story and recollection of the similar Krohler set that you had growing up as a teenager, and no, you didn't waste my time. Not many people remember the sofas that their parents had as they were growing up. In fact, I have found that many people that were teenagers in the 50's find that furniture to be ugly, until they see it again. This was my favorite set until recently when I won a dogbone-style sofa set on Ebay. (see below)

Right now they are being reupholstered, but this is how they looked when I got them. I got them for $250 because the seller wasn't going to ship. So I made a deal to have a shipping company go out there and pick them up. It cost me $650 to have them shipped by freight, and that was the cheapest price I could find. I'm having them reupholstered in a two-tone combination; using the same upholstery that I have on the Krohler set and black barkcloth. It should look nice when it's done.

I had forgotten that I had posted the sofa set on here until I saw your posting. I haven't sold the set, yet, because I really haven't been pushing it. I know they will sell when I get them out to the Rose Bowl after it cools down, so I'm not worried about that. I think for what I put into them, which I won't be getting back, the price is right. Haven't had much luck on here trying to sell them because most the people on here are more for the ultra-modern/high end stuff which really does nothing for me. I'd rather have the things that people like you remember the most...the furniture that the majority of homes had in the 1950's, which people remember the most.

I got your personal email and will be emailing you more later. Again, thanks for the nice comments on the sofa set. Take care.

The 50's Guy

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:30 pm

billcito
Modern Groupie

Postby billcito » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:45 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:51 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:12 pm

billcito
Modern Groupie

Postby billcito » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:25 pm

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:25 pm

billcito
Modern Groupie

Postby billcito » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:53 pm

What a great shot of your mom she looks like the Queen of the 50s!! haha, well I must be the same age as her 'cuz I graduated the same year 1958. Looking forward to any other pix that come along of 50s style. I wonder what percent of 50s-lovers are younger like you, who were born afterwards, and how many like me that lived through it. Any stats? Most friends my age don't seem to have much nostalgia for the period, they are more into the 60s. (I have happy memories of the 40s, but not so much for the style, just my childhood!)

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:33 pm

billcito
Modern Groupie

Postby billcito » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:28 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:28 pm

LOVE that pic of Mom!!!! What a beauty! I was born just four months after that pic was taken. Love the TV. Love the picture. I JUST LOVE IT ALL! We have some pics of family taken in homes, but they are all in black and white! What a great pic :D

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Oh yes....may I add....the day I was born was the day the microchip was invented! It took awhile before anyone realized how important THAT would be, didn't it?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”