Pacific Hastings Theater "will go dark" on August

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Pacific Hastings Theater "will go dark" on August

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 am

Closing the curtain
By Janette Williams, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 08/15/2007 01:00:29 AM PDT

PASADENA - Home to one of the area's last old-style big screens, The Pacific Theatres Hastings 8 movie theater will go dark Aug. 27 and be demolished for retail redevelopment.

In a statement Tuesday, Pacific Theatre officials called it a "common practice in the movie theater industry to close older locations due to declining attendance."

Full story: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_6626361

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

and that

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:44 pm

as it mentioned in the article replaced a drive in theater-ya go onto any of the drive in movie websites and you can find some info. about it.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:02 am

Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:40 am

Holy cow, you've got one hell of a memory.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:47 pm

BTW, Blade Runner was one of the more impressive presentations I recall experiencing at this theater.

I remember how in crowd scenes I could actually listen to conversations that extras were having. (I'm sorry I didn't take notes afterwards.)

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:01 pm

That's such sad news. Way back in my teens-early twenties I always tried to see a movie at the Hastings whenever possible just because of the unbelievably giant screen, to me it was one of the most glamous of super-wide screen theaters (back when it still had stained glass anyway and "Hastings Ranch" could still be equated with "posh"). Later remodels took all the character out of it and almost every movie in the big theater was crap, I remember The Island of Dr. Moreau (Frankenheimer's remake), Golden Eye and Terminator 2. We had to sit so close to the screen for Golden Eye that the chase scene with the tank was the most headache-inducing experience I can remember. I would've liked to have actually seen a really good movie there but unfortunately I never did. I always hated driving down there only to realize the movie I wanted to see was at the other Hastings up the street (ahhhgg!!).

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm

CWillman
Modern Socialite

Postby CWillman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:33 pm

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:00 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”