Would I want to live on Hollywood Blvd?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Would I want to live on Hollywood Blvd?

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Oh, dear. Well, it isn't very far from the Tenderloin to Union Square ! You'd think the whole city was maybe six by eight blocks, from there. . .

I just saw photos of the new "green" (actually multicolored) parking garage in SM. . . but I digress.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:06 am

i think it would be a lotta fun to do an extended stay, but until there is livable infrastructure... i.e. good markets , etc. - i dunno about living there long term?

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:10 am

The boulevard is getting high amounts traffic as it is. Once all those residential and hotel units open up, it'll be a worse nightmare for motorists. I certainly wouldn't want to live in that mess.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Well, I did live off of Hollywood Blvd. (on North Orange) a few years ago and there are some pluses. I could actually walk over to a grocery store, restaurant or coffee shop which was quite nice. Once I got my car parked after work I wouldn't get in it again. Of course at certain times I would be battling the tourists in trying to get back home with my groceries and once during Academy Awards week I was detained from even being able to walk down my own street and go home because Nicole Kidman's gown broke or something. Must-avoid drive times also included before or after a performance at the Hollywood Bowl.

On the up side, if you live in Hollywood and work downtown, you can easily minimize the use of a car by taking the subway and by simply, gasp, walking in LA.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”