John Hudspeth house, Paul Laszlo Designed in Oregon

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ramblingreaser
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

John Hudspeth house, Paul Laszlo Designed in Oregon

Postby ramblingreaser » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:04 am

Hi folks, this is sadly my first post but I am calling attention to a home in Prineville, Oregon that is set to be gutted and turned into a Rec. Center here soon. In 1951, John Hudspeth, a prominent and wealthy mill owner commissioned Paul Laszlo to design, build, and furnish a home for he and his family. It was said that in the 1950s that a person could walk from Prineville, Oregon to Boise, Idaho without ever leaving Hudspeth land so finding a place to build the home was not hard. They chose a spot near town that sits near Barnes Butte. Subsequently, a local builder purchased the land from the family, including the home, and is now developing a 3000 homesite community and with the Hudspeth House right in the middle, have decided also to make it a Rec Center.
I had the pleasure of touring the home with some friends of mine and was blown away that this could be gutted. The home is roughly 12,000 square feet and has different themes throughout. Extra wide and long hallways seperate each wing and have foliage murals painted on them to give the stylized feeling of a jungle. Some of the rooms feature gold and velour wallpaper, and one bathroom is completely art deco with plaster tiles on the walls. The master bedroom features a headboard that was built into the wall and held one of the first private telephones to be owned in Prineville. The master suite also has a large bathroom with huge red tiles and is flanked on either side by his and hers dressing rooms.
The list goes on, but I am currently in the process of puting together a documentary on the property since there is no chance of saving it from demise. I have several friends in the local television / media industry and with their help we will be filming a walkthrough of the home. The house was completely decorated inside and furnished with the work of Paul Laszlo, however the furniture was sold to LA Modern who then sold it for a HUGE profit and now all of the pieces are seperated and, as far as I know, undocumented. If you can help me in any way, please feel free to write, this is a large undertaking but I at least want the home to be well documented before it's gone. Thanks

Loren
lmpetersen@bendbroadband.com

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:54 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi again Loren -

Monica Pennick is going to contact you, she is the one I mentioned researching the Laszlo book, she thinks she can help. She will also put you into contact with Peter Laszlo, Paul Laszlo's son.

You may also want to contact Peter Loughrey, of the Los Angeles Modern Auctions. They sold off the furnishings and other items from the house, and there were a lot of photos from the intact house in the catalog, I'm sure he would love to help as well.

peter@lamodern.com

Los Angeles Modern Auctions
PO Box 56748
Sherman Oaks, CA 91413

(323) 904-1950 or fax (323) 904-1954

Good luck, and I'm really interested in hearing what you are able to do with this!

Steven.
Steven Keylon

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:17 pm

ramblingreaser: first off, welcome to Lotta Living.

I am aware of Laszlo's work, but I didn't know he did something in Oregon.

Second, you may want to find and contact his archive for possible assistance. Someone of his stature most likely has his archive at a University, possibly his alma mater. You might check UCLA or UCSB.

third, I would like to offer any help from the Atomic Age Alliance Oregon Chapter in whatever capacity possible at this time.

I am in Eugene. send me an email and I will send you my phone number.

Joe
Last edited by Joe on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:23 pm

His papers are at the University of California at Santa Barbara.
Steven Keylon

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:26 pm

Pictures of the house and some furnishings, and a nicely written description of the Hudspeth Commission here, if anyone is interested in seeing what we're talking about:

http://www.lamodern.com/html/body_print_catalogue.html
Steven Keylon

ramblingreaser
Modern Groupie

Thanks for all of the help!

Postby ramblingreaser » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 am

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 am

Steven Keylon

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:14 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”