5877 West Third Pride Uniform (deco tower bldng)

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

5877 West Third Pride Uniform (deco tower bldng)

Postby Nathan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:31 am

I've always loved this building -- the corner windows! the tower! north side of Third, at Poinsettia Place -- and haven't really worried about it until they built all those giant Tuskan Palace condo-apartment-whatever's across the street. A whiff of halitosis from the jaws of death if ever there was one.

So I caught such a wind from someone that there's going to be something like 127 units built on this 13,000sf lot. Swell. I sauntered in there to talk to someone, and the man in charge, Homayoun Neydavoud, (who keeps his architecture firm at 2339 Manning Ave, 90062, 310 600 9987) met me. I asked, all wide of eye and innocent of demeanor, gosh, with that kind of construction, would there be any place for this neat old building?

Oh no, he replied, it would be torn down. Taken down. Demolished. I thought it interesting that he worked on finding as many syllables for demolition as he could to fit into one sentence.

As far as I've been able to piece together, this was built as an auto service place; it was the Switzer-Altschuler auto service station in the late 30s, and then was the Town Tire Company through the 50s-early 60s, and became Pride Uniform about 1965. Note the folded plate port-cochere.

More folded plate at the office door -- there's the tower in the bg, and across the street, the giant ochre-colored housing development.

Behold my majesty!
How many of these are left in Los Angeles?

If this building gets pulled down, somebody save this. I want it as my headstone.

I'd be interested to know if demo permits have be pulled on this jewel...gads, it would be magnificent to bring this back.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:43 am

Now we know where Town Tire moved from...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7796

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:01 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Miracle Mile North HPOZ is Directly Behind This Site

Postby Forum Friend » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Preservation doesn't seem like an option for this series of buildings, but I do hope someone can save the mini-tower. It's sweet.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Too bad, I really liked this building.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”