Los Angeles 1876 St. Vibiana Cathedral

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Los Angeles 1876 St. Vibiana Cathedral

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:01 pm

The biggest Los Angeles Conservancy battle of the last decade is topped off with this restored cupola.

(lapl)
LOS ANGELES TIMES
Former cathedral gets its crown back

The restored cupola is returned to its spot atop a downtown L.A. landmark that is now called just Vibiana.
By Bob Pool, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 30, 2007
To Los Angeles preservationists, it was the icing on the cake -- or at least the tasty, decorative top layer.

A crane gently returned the 3,500-pound cupola to the former St. Vibiana Cathedral on Wednesday, capping an 11-year campaign to save the historic downtown landmark.

"No chunks fell off. If anything, I was expecting lightning bolts to strike," joked developer Tom Gilmore, who spent $2.5 million to restore the church's 83-foot-tall bell tower...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 1383.story

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:49 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:01 am

I can't believe Roger Taj Mahony wanted to destroy St. Vibiana's in order to achieve his palace - well actually I can.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

And similarly

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:53 am

At Pilgrim Congregational (across from my workplace) they saved the 4 spires from the bell tower after they were damaged from the Northridge Quake, but have since replaced them with 4 fiberglass ones (the look like the originals but are lighter weight), the originals now adorn the driveways to the parking lot of the church, less likely to tip and cause damage.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:22 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:47 pm

(lapl)
High Mass for Chief Parker, 1966
(lapl)
Cardinal Manning says mass, 1977
(ucla)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”