House of Pies

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

House of Pies

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:15 pm

(CurbedLA)

A while back someone showed me a rendering for a new shopping center to be built at Franklin and Vermont in Los Feliz. This would replace the House of Pies but have them as a tenant in this new structure. I'll try to find the drawing, but there is some discussion at Curbed... This is the last operating House of Pies restaurant - it was once a chain.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2007/09/h ... pies_t.php

apower
Modern Fan

Postby apower » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:51 am

It is not the last. There are two still oeprating here in Houston. When I moved here from LA, I asked a waitress if it was the same chain as LA and she said it was and that there was also one in Colorado somewhere still.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Didn't there used to be a "pi" symbol on that sign?

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 pm

That was their logo... they used it on the oven and in the terrazzo floors, but I don't think it was on their signage..

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 pm

I hear this project might be moving again...
Any word on the street?

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:23 pm

I just ate at house of pies, and if they are expecting to be torn down they have a funny way of showing it...all of the booths have been re-covered in a much more period-appropriate fabric and the bathrooms have been completely and beautifully renovated with terrazo tile floors, floor to ceiling frosted glass doors and reproduction aluminum double cone wall sconces.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”