Any historic buildings lost in CA Wildfires?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Deco Lover
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Any historic buildings lost in CA Wildfires?

Postby Deco Lover » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 am

Was wondering if there is any news of historic homes/ buildings being
lost in the CA Wildfires? :(

Deco Lover

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:09 am

The Only home I am aware of is Castle Kashan in Malibu

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm concerned about Rancho Santa Fe in northern San Diego county. The trees in that area is almost all Eucalyptus, which burn like hell. There is a couple of Neutra's there, as well as some nice new stuff by Wally Cunningham. We will have to wait until the smoke clears, I guess.

Information will soon be forthcoming on

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Here's a great google map showing the San Diego fires:

Boy, this thing is big!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

Keith York
Modern Socialite

Postby Keith York » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 am

It will likely be a few weeks before we can drive through all of the neighborhoods and check addresses. I hope to compile a list of those structures threatened and destroyed and publish on my site.
You are all correct - Rancho Santa Fe, since it was designed by Lillian Rice, has hosted an impressive inventory of significant structures. The list of architects and building designers in the many square acres of RSF is fairly long - not to mention the many other neighborhoods that have suffered damage, evacuations and loss of life.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”