Armet and Davis Bob's Big Boy--> Garden of Love Las Vegas

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Armet and Davis Bob's Big Boy--> Garden of Love Las Vegas

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:49 pm

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:45 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 am

thanks for posting a clearer pic allen.

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 pm

This Bob's location was built in 1966. From 1976-84, the Osmond family owned it.

Here's another shot from a couple of years ago...

scottkaycee
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:13 pm

I wanted to get married here until I realised that there is no intact/ retro/ mid-century chapel in the complex, and only the outside is intact. That being said i hope it is preserved. Funny thing was my brother ended up getting married here a few years later, you wouldnt know from the photos.

As an aside there seems to me no retro/modern alternatives to the Elvis wedding, perhaps a future business.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

Josh Geidel
Modern Socialite

Postby Josh Geidel » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

TTT!
S'up wit dis... any new words?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:37 pm

i caught some of the city council meeting the other night - seems like they're really making an example out of this chapel.

maybe someone wants them to close and wants the land???

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:48 pm

Yeah, I watched the meeting and they really raked the owner over the coals...she deserved it, though. Most of the wedding chapel owners have major problems with eachother.

Here's a view of the Wee Kirk O' the Heather (built in 1925)

JMVegas5866
Modern Socialite

Postby JMVegas5866 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:39 am

Found this rendering of one similar to the one in Las Vegas. It would be nice if this could be converted back into a food establishment or coffee shop again. My friend got married in here last summer. The inside is definitely... well.. *eeeeek!!!*

Notice in this rendering the side wall has a unique overlapping panel design to it, where as in the current picture of the chapel there is aluminum siding straight across (yuck). I wonder if that overlapping design is still behind that? I like how the red stripes on the roof line show through the inside and also the how the lighting follows along those stripes.
Damien
South Jersey

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”