New book about Miami Modernism

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sg221
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New book about Miami Modernism

Postby sg221 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:16 pm

The University Press of Florida recently published a book I co-authored with noted Miami Modernist architect Norman M. Giller, entitled Designing the Good Life: Norman M. Giller and the Development of Miami Modernism. Giller's projects reflect every major social and cultural trend that characterized the postwar period, from suburban housing developments to expansive supermarkets to swanky night clubs and motels. I am happy to say the book has already been well-received. Here is the text from the publisher's website:

"There is a lot more to Mid-Century Modernism than we have yet discovered. This book offers an important look at a neglected aspect of that era's rich architecture and history."--Alan Hess, author of Palm Springs Weekend: The Architecture and Design of a Mid-Century Oasis

"Like a time capsule, this book epitomizes an era. It is part autobiography, a unique collaboration between a prolific architect and his art historian granddaughter, and part primer for those who want to learn more about Miami and its architecture at mid-century. Mostly, though, Designing the Good Life is a record of an architect whose buildings helped make Miami modern, as an entire region thrust itself wholeheartedly into the future."--Beth Dunlop, architecture critic, Miami Herald, and editor, Home Miami

Miami Modernism, or MiMo, is the exotic brand of mid-century architecture ubiquitous in the world-famous city. Designing the Good Life is a personal account of the post-World War II movement that shaped a city and defined an era. This captivating story offers a unique look at the architecture of Norman M. Giller, one of the early godfathers of MiMo.

Giller made an indelible mark on the urban landscape with architecturally progressive structures ideally suited to their surroundings. Discussing technologies, materials, and the key elements of MiMo, the authors offers an insider's view. They delve into Miami's architectural history to examine some of his most iconic structures, including the Ocean Palm Motel, the Carillon Hotel, the North Shore Band Shell, the Diplomat Hotel and Country Club, and the Giller Building. Each project is lavishly illustrated with vintage images from the architect's exclusive collection and contemporary photographs by Miami photographer Robin Hill.

The only book to chronicle the movement's evolution from the perspective of one of its most distinguished exponents, Designing the Good Life reveals how Giller's vision helped to define Florida architecture in the Atomic Age.

Norman M. Giller, FAIA, has designed over 10,000 structures during his 60-year career. He has served as chairman of the Florida State Board of Architecture and president of the American Institute of Architects, South Florida Chapter. Art and architectural historian Sarah Giller Nelson is the assistant curator for contemporary art at the Spertus Museum in Chicago.

Designing the Good Life is available in hardcover (ISBN 978-0-8130-3071-5) at a suggested retail price of $39.95. To place an order please call (800) 226-3822) or visit http://www.upf.com/book.asp?id=GILLEF07 .

Thank you!

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Is there a Miami Modern group now? I had no luck 20 years ago when I tried to get interest in 50's modern buildings. Currently trying to collect materials for my modern library as well.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:58 am

Is there anybody here from the
Miami Modern Coalition (MiMoCo)?

http://www.miamisunpost.com/archives/20 ... ntpage.htm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:50 pm

ooh. that looks god.
any peaks inside?
oh, what the heck. i'll buy it.

sg221
Modern Groupie

Postby sg221 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:42 pm

for MiMo preservation groups also try www.mimoboulevard.org and gonorthbeach.org. MiMo has gotten a lot of press in South Florida, and there are bunch of very dedicated individuals trying to preserve it. One of the goals of "Designing the Good Life" is to further this effort.

rocklandlounge- thanks for buying the book! it is full of fab vintage photos that I literally unearthed from the storage rooms of my grandfather's architectural office - sure to please.

-sarah

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:25 pm

I am amazed that anything from 50 years ago still exists in archtect offices in Miami! The older architects i knew were "neat freaks" and threw everything out. Perhaps if I can find a "pack rat" type architect that may be a good source of material for my mid-century library!
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”