Baldwin Hills Theater demo

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Baldwin Hills Theater demo

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:01 pm

The Baldwin Theater on La Brea at Rodeo has finally been demolished. The theater closed ages ago and its interior was subdivided for commercial use. One tenant, the Los Angeles Unified School District, has taken up residence in a portion of the gutted auditorium and it will be spared. However, the theater's arching street facade was not spared and met the wrecking ball today.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:18 pm

I don't think the end result is all that bad, although it is too bad the dramatic shape of the cone was not more emphasized.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:30 pm

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/2760/

The site above should have a photo of the Baldwin Hills Theatre before the demo. I hope the link works.
Last edited by Lynxwiler on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:13 pm

Nice link, Lynxwiler.

Amazing photo.

I never recall it looking like that, however.

Although I've been inside once, I always recall it being closed.

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:38 am

Yes, what an amazing photo, although I have nevr seen it what a shame to loose it to the wrecking ball.
Shane
Bear

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:55 am

New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:30 am

The rear was retained, but it's almost completely unidentifiable. All the action was up front.

(lapl)

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Okay, Now I'm disappointed.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:19 pm

As posted yesterday on another thread, I was given two large boxes of family photos and keepsakes from my grandmother. Her brothers were Adrian and Lewis Wilson. I'll be uploading information and pictures as time allows!

First off, I have a portfolio of Lewis' work. Sadly, much of it has been damaged by water at some point. I'm uploading all the pages that pertain to the Baldwin Theater here. (How I wish I'd seen it before the wrecking ball!!!)

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:20 pm

These are two of his sketches of the project from the portfolio:

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm not an architect! LOL! But I guess these are designs from the plans and specs maybe?

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Sadly, the last pictures are some of ones most damaged in the portfolio. I hope those interested will still enjoy them :-)

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:29 pm

For some reason, that second to the last one keeps coming out upside down at this time! I edited it on Photobucket and it's still wrong! Hopefully it will correct itself at some point! Please don't think he designed the lighting on the floor! LOL

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 am

This is amazing stuff!

I live at Baldwin Hills Village (Village Green), on which Lewis Wilson worked as an Associated Architect. Our archives deal mostly with the Village, but the theater, the shopping center, the Baldwin Hills school and the church across from the theater were all part of the grand scheme.

Is there any way we could get pretty high resolution scans of this stuff, all of it is related to Baldwin Hills Village, which is a National Historic Landmark.

I'm on the Board of Directors, we have a budget for this sort of thing...
Steven Keylon

Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”