Introducing ModernRiverside.com

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

ModernRiverside
Modern Groupie

Introducing ModernRiverside.com

Postby ModernRiverside » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi there, I'm trying to get the word out about a new website/blog I've started for Mid-Century Modern buildings in Riverside, CA.

There is a growing interest among the decision-makers around here in "missionizing" the buildings in downtown Riverside. Those of you who have been here to visit the Mission Inn probably understand what I mean by this. People think architecture in Riverside began and ended with Mission Revival, and they have a particular dislike of Modernism. I'm getting worried that projects to remodel/demolish our Modern landmarks are gaining traction, and am looking to change some hearts and minds about this wonderful era in architecture.

Please share the website with whomever you think would appreciate it, and I welcome any comments/suggestions. Cheers! Tanya

The Site:
www.modernriverside.com

The Blog:
www.modernriverside.com/wordpress

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:09 pm

nicely put together blog - thanks for keeping us updated - you might also want to list it on our member's website thread.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:21 am

Hello ModernRiverside,

And welcome to Lotta Living!

Nice site and I for one know very little about Riverside. I think Albert Frey did a couple of buildings out there. I wonder if they still exist? I'll have to locate the addresses.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:59 am

ModernRiverside,

Here are the two Albert Frey designed buildings in Riverside. Not sure if either was built or if so, still exists:

U. C. Riverside Science & Humanities Building

American Red Cross Chapter House
8890 Magnolia Avenue

Any info would be appreciated!

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

ModernRiverside
Modern Groupie

Postby ModernRiverside » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:45 am

TM, I'll have to check those out. On Zillow I see that there is something at that address on Magnolia. Maybe the building permits will confirm. UCR has a lot of really cool buildings - hopefully the name is still the same so it would be easy to identify. Thanks for sending these along!

ModernRiverside
Modern Groupie

Red Cross Offices, Frey and Chambers 1961

Postby ModernRiverside » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi again, so I checked out the leads you sent on those Albert Frey designs (I couldn't resist) and boy howdy do we have a winner:

It's a Spanish-speaking church now, but everything on the outside appears intact. Check out the cross-shaped (as in red cross, not Christian cross) opening in the roof. The CB wall to your right as you peer in also bears a cutout cross pattern. The building permit lists Frey and Chambers. It was finalized in 1961.

As for the building at UCR, I didn't find the specific building you had mentioned, but a search of Architectural DB (https://digital.lib.washington.edu/php/architect/index.html) indicated that the administrative building (Hinderaker Hall) was designed by Frey's firm in 1953. A few not-so-great pictures are on my site under the UCR heading.

Thanks for the hot tips, send any others you have my way anytime!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:39 am

there are some Cliff May or Cliff May like homes I have a vague memory of the tract just north of Magnolia Ave. it was on about 3 cul de sacs and a couple of modern homes in the neighborhood south of the river and west of downtown. (I'll be checking on that). I remember a few off of Victoria Ave. too.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:11 am

ModernRiverside,

Thanks! What a nice building and it's great that it still exists.

And that architect database website - boy am I going to waste hours and hours there!

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 pm

Not mod, but I've always loved the Farm House Motel in Riverside.. Saw it again last week and SHOCKED that it's still so perfect and beautiful.
(roadsidepeek)

Keith York
Modern Socialite

Postby Keith York » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Fantastic Site. Congratulations. I will post an announcement on my site - www.modernsandiego.com

While doing research on San Diego-based architect Sim Bruce Richards, I came across this project:

Mr & Mrs Colman Clarke Residence (1959)
Knob Hill Drive & Valley View, Riverside

Mr Clarke's work address was 2918 Balfore Street

I have evidence that working drawings were completed but not sure if the project was built. If you learn anything drop me a line.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:09 pm

The "Cupcake" design by Armet & Davis is not tagged on your site> See earlier discussion: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3968

(via LAOkay, Via Armet, Davis Newlove)

ModernRiverside
Modern Groupie

Postby ModernRiverside » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Keith: Thanks for the plug! I like how you've organized your site and am looking forward to spending some quality time perusing it. I'll look into the Clarke Residence. Sometimes it is really clear from the permit records, which the City of Riverside has available online, but that neighborhood isn't far from me and I know there are some really nice Ranch houses over there.

nichols: I love that motel! Not modern architecturally, but still part of the era so it would be no surprise if it ends up on my site. I'm trying to be narrow in my focus for now so the project doesn't overwhelm me, but someday... Also, thanks for the heads up on Dennys. I knew that Armet and Davis was involved with Dennys (I believe the boomerang-shaped diner on the end of Brockton Arcade was once Dennys too), but I guess I didn't realize that they were "in-house" architects for all Dennys and there was no solid info on the building permits. The wonderful thing about history is that you're never done learning something new.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Great stuff Tanya. I put a plug for it on my blog.

http://synthetrix.blogspot.com/
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:52 pm

MODCOM once had a tour of the auto row in Riverside. I understand it was pretty pioneering. Ten years ago there were a lot of original showrooms intact.

ModernRiverside
Modern Groupie

Postby ModernRiverside » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm not certain, but I think some of the auto centers fronting Indiana have remodeled in the past few years. It's something I've been meaning to check. We have been having redevelopment woes downtown that has been capturing my attention lately :(

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”