Aerospace Corporate Headquarters, El Segundo, CA

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

leesw8
Modern Groupie

Aerospace Corporate Headquarters, El Segundo, CA

Postby leesw8 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:11 pm

I recently bought a Shulman photograph which I understand is the Aerospace Corporate Headquarters in El Segundo, CA, just near LAX. I tried emailing their press office for information to no avail. It's a mid-century modern building - sorry haven't worked out how to post an image on here yet, but I can always email it to you if you think you know something about the building.

Can anyone let me know something about the building - architect, etc.

Thanks

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm

What is the code number on the back?

leesw8
Modern Groupie

Postby leesw8 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:08 pm

code number 3871 13 is on the reverse of the photo

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 pm

You could try the El Segundo Library reference desk and see if they can point you to any online resources about the building and architect.

refdesk@elsegundo.org

Aerospace, part of NASA, is a major part of the city's history.
Last edited by scowsa on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scowsa

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 pm

One other possible source of help

http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/special_collections/shulman_faq.html#7

Note the Question
I believe that Shulman photographed my house, building, or school. How can I locate information or photographs?

We recommend reviewing any published resources in your area. Please review resources listed on the Shulman Bibliography. You may also Contact Library Reference by filling out the online form. Request that Reference staff review the original Shulman project index. When possible, please provide the name of the original architect, builder, or homeowner of the building and the location (city, state).
scowsa

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 pm

I work in El Segundo near that building. It's very cool. There is actually quite a bit of great MCM commercial architecture in the area and I have been thinking about adding a section for it to the Photos Of The Forgotten website.
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

crpeoplemover
Modern Fan

Postby crpeoplemover » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 am

There is a good "bird's eye" view of the building on maps.live.com. You can also still see the very similar looking Air Force Base "area A" across Aviation Blvd. which was recently torn down for residential development.
Sorry, I don't know any info on either buildings.

Here is the link:
http://tinyurl.com/2ddukt

I live very close to this area, and Synthetrix is right, this immediate area has a number of great, mostly intact, MCM office/industrial parks. Just on the other side of the railroad tracks from the Aerospace corp. is an industrial building designed by Pierre Koenig (which was slightly remuddeled a few years back) And, just south of that on Aviation, is the fantastic Xerox campus. About another half a mile south is the former TRW (now northrop grumman) campus. The latter two (except for signage) are very much intact.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

and going back farther

Postby modfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:58 am

Is this where or near where the Nash (pre American Motors) plant used to be?

leesw8
Modern Groupie

Postby leesw8 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank you everyone for your help.

The birds eye view has helped me find the building and it appears to be still standing.

For those who want to see it - follow the link above, click on birds eye, move slightly to the right, and there's a colonaded square building surrounded on three sides by much larger buildings. Looks like the trees have grown up rather since Shulman took the photo.

For the architect details I have asked the Getty for information.

Of course if anyone has any information on this building in the meantime, please let me know. All information is appreciated, and when I'm in LA in a few months I'll be seeking out the building and taking out my own photo, now that I know it's still standing.

crpeoplemover
Modern Fan

Postby crpeoplemover » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:06 pm

I was going to mention to leesw8 that the Aerospace Corp. Building is just east of the El Segundo Blvd. stop on the Metro Green Line, then I realized that all of the Buildings I mentioned in my post yesterday can make up a fairly simple walking tour, (for those willing to walk 2.5 miles). I drew up a simple map for anyone interested...

The Red Line would be the walking route, between the El Segundo/Nash and Marine/Redondo Stations on the Green Line.
The Green Line is.. the Metro Green Line!

Here are some pictures i found on the internet:

Xerox:

TRW (Northrop):

I also forgot to mention the Federal Building in Hawthorne (Marine and Aviation) which is also interesting and i guess would be considered late MCM. (I believe it was built in the late 60s early 70s)

Also, the much newer Green Line Stations are architecturally interesting as well, which I know has been discussed on here before. Here is a picture i found of the Marine/Redondo Station. (Looking west, with the TRW tower in background)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:30 pm

According to Shulman's index, this is:

A.C. Martin Associates
Aerospace Corporation
El Segundo, CA

sonic
Modern Fan

Aerospace Building

Postby sonic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:40 am

...i have a nice Aerospace building on my site:

http://you-are-here.com/modern/ibm_aerospace.html

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks for the image Martin. You and Shulman seem to have different information on this building...

leesw8
Modern Groupie

Postby leesw8 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:32 pm

AC Martin Associates have now confirmed to me

"Yes, this was one of the original Albert C. Martin Associates projects. I’m afraid the information I have is relatively brief. The building was completed in the mid-60’s (1965), and was originally a research and development center for the Aerospace Corporation. The project included a four-building corporate headquarters and laboratory complex on a 31-acre site."

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”