Leed's Shoes 6350 H'wood

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Leed's Shoes 6350 H'wood

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Here's Leed's shoes, 1935.

Here's all you need to know: the tower is supposed to look all shiny like this --

--because it has groovy tile on it like this --

Although now some woman who does a lot of auto show concept car unveilings by the name of Eva Longoria, and some hash slinger named Todd English, have rented the place --

-- and it's going to be a hotbed of booze, dancing, and live entertainment called Beso.

What, then, would be wrong with keeping the building the way it is in the above images? Something, apparently.

ImageImageImage

(Apologies for the cell phone images.) I for one will not be dining in Evil Ongoria's new prandial pad. Because they're tile-murderers, and they've etched bad poetry into the mirrors. No, really.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Blecch

According to Hollywood Heritage the city signed off on it...calling the paint job "reversible."

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:01 pm

I pass this building frequently but never looked close at the sign since it was just another of those buildings along Hollywood Blvd. in need of something...anything... to improve.

After seeing this post, I stopped and looked at the work in progress. It appears to me that the tile panels have been removed. If they have and are being stored, that might explain the city considering the change to be reversable. The current state is a rough texture stucco with holes and damage that is being worked on (scaffolding still up as in photo above).

Most likely the design is all the work of a designer/decorator not Eva Longoria-Parker and Todd English.

Personally, I was a little surprised at the venom being spewed ("Evil" Longoria?, "woman who does a lot of auto shows"?, "hashslinger"?).

Very unlike the normal "light hearted, positive, and FRIENDLY" advertised at the top of the page.

As a property owner in the area, I'm happy to see a partnership of an actress on one of the top rated tv series and a sucessful restaurateur investing in my neighborhood. We had enough shoe stores where the hookers and drag queens could shop.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm

I’ll certainly concede that it was a light, positive bitchy post; I blame the influence of those What the Buck youtube videos – Buck, who pointed out that if you do not say Eva Longoria-Parker, she WILL correct you. So I left out Parker. Because I am wicked. Moreover, I thought “Evil Ongoriaâ€￾ to be a (though not terribly clever) gleefully silly turn-of-phrase, and if one’s at all familiar with Eva’s career you know that she in fact does do an unusual number of auto openings. And I just said "hashslinger" because if I had to choose between a “celebuchefâ€￾ and some hooker shoes, then, well, I’m a size nine.

And you're correct, a media employee throwing some loss carryforward into a pet project does not equal having a hand in the design process…but if they’re going to put their fancy names and faces on the durn thing, I reckon they’ll have to take the heat for doing something I personally don’t like. (In this case, they didn’t do something, which was to tell the designer “hey—leave that alone.â€￾) Of course, my opinion will matter ever so much to the bankers and the people lining up for tequila.

The distilled essence of said opinion, fatuous layers (two preceeding paragraphs) stripped away, is that that pylon tower is now, to my subjective aesthetic taste, considerably less vivifying. It’s also been stripped of an interesting and important historic element, and I think I can say with sober, rational, friendly conviction, that the notion of those panels someday being reattached is magical thinking. (Los Angeles has a pretty sterling history when it comes to things going missing permanent-like. Granted, we’ve seen the return of Angels Flight…but such instances are few and far between.)

And that gag above about restaurants vs. shoe stores isn’t altogether true; I am in theory a fan of gentrification (as a resident of Highland Park, every time one more “cuteâ€￾ bakery opens, I take out another loan on my house). While people look down on hookers, their shoes, and drag queens, is there something sainted about 5600sf of alcohol, dancing and live entertainment? ...Hollywood residents will deal with more traffic/parking/noise/drunkenness while the people who get rich off this don’t live in Hollywood—but away in the Hills above. I’d say sure, what the heck, if only Eva, who I'm sure is very nice, but who I'm going to blame for this anyway, hadn't done to that building what got done to that building.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Voila! All white!

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm

And one Tracie Butler would be the responsible designer to be roundly trashed for the decision. The four celebrity owners/investors likely have no idea.

On a positive note, I hear from people who have already been able to get a table that the food is very good.

So a negative for the sign, a positive for losing one of the many hooker/tranny shoe stores along Hollywood Blvd.

Cherry Capri
Modern Socialite

Postby Cherry Capri » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 pm

HEY!

I have shopped for shoes along this stretch.
Regular girls need gogo boots, too...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”