Culver Carburetor

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Culver Carburetor

Postby Chrisgreen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Last week after the modcom meeting, I drove by Culver Carburetor and noticed it had moved out of its little building:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ax2groin/2076321398/

Does anybody know the fate of this little gem?

11167 Washington Pl
Culver City, CA 90232

Adriene
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Adriene » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm glad you noticed this, Chris. Back around the time we were working on the Derby nomination, I showed Marcello this great little building as I felt sure it was an early drive-in. He pulled the original building permits which show that it opened in either 1947 or 1949 as "Dopey's Drive-In". An early example which should be landmarked, probably on the State register. We'll contact the historic preservation officer in Culver City, too -- they do have a preservation ordinance there.

It was most currently run as a carburetor shop by the Katz family. About a year ago we noticed the father passed away and the son was running it. See if you can look up the obit online and post it. We should contact the family first.

Thank you VERY MUCH for mentioning it's vacant -- I personally think it's very important and must be preserved. We added it to the commercial agenda last night and I will recommend it goes to LAC advocacy.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”