Sunset Vine Tower?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
babyblue65bird
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sunset Vine Tower?

Postby babyblue65bird » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:56 pm

Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:24 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:28 pm

mlagirl80
Modern Socialite

sunset & vine tower

Postby mlagirl80 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:30 am

i must have missed this story, i can't believe it's been like that for over a year (the good news is my excuse is i've been working a lot the last few years so have been out of town much of that time)... i noticed the chain link fence a spell ago and that crack sqatters had already started tearing holes in it to gain entry (just what every good crack head needs: a big 'ole bolt cutter!!)... i'm glad i went up to 360* (the club on top) and enjoyed some yummy food and a nice martini and a spectacular sunset before this hit the fan :cheers:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:41 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 31, 2005 4:15 pm

I was trapped in a traffic jam at Sunset & Vine this afternoon, and look why!!

http://cbs2.com/topstories/topstoriesla ... 92337.html

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:21 am

Another part of the tragedy of this building is that the offices of architects Honnold, Reibsamen & Rex occupied that building. They too were forced out by the fire and red-tagging. Then their offices were vandalized by those squatters. And their entire archives were destroyed.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:39 am

Has anyone noticed the coincidence that a subsequent undergroud DWP transformer fire caused the closure of the MCM Washington Mutual DIRECTLY across the street, the one that houses the museum of broadcasting downstairs?
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

mlagirl80
Modern Socialite

the trap...

Postby mlagirl80 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:44 pm

they said on the news that the tower was being transformed into apartments.... are they nuts?!... no one should be living in that trap!!

PreserveLA
Modern Socialite

Postby PreserveLA » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:13 pm

A renovation of the building as housing is currently underway. Its possible the developers may pursue landmark designation of the structure, as well.

Sunset & Vine Tower Fire (with some history & photos)
http://www.preservela.com/archives/000464.html
News, Information & More at http://www.preservela.com !

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:54 pm

In stark contrast to PreserveLa's report, the LA Conservancy Modern Committee met with the reps of CIM and architect Stephen Kanner, who have plans to RADICALLY alter that building, which would certainly not be in line with any landmark designation (but perhaps they've changed their mind!) They did, however, discuss a possible restoration of the 1963 lobby space.

The great blogsters at sixsquare.com have posted these startling images:
Before
After
Last edited by nichols on Mon May 05, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreserveLA
Modern Socialite

Postby PreserveLA » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:03 pm

See http://www.preservela.com/archives/000692.html for the last information I'd heard about the building, which is consistent with Mr. Nichols' post. Sorry for not sharing it here sooner.
News, Information & More at http://www.preservela.com !

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:14 pm

My goodness, those streetlights grew quite a bit in the "after" shot.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:42 pm

Big Q&A with architect Stephen Kanner in the June 12, 2006 Los Angeles Business Journal. Some quotes below:

Q: Didn't the Los Angeles Conservancy raise questions about the (Sunset Vine Tower) Project?

A: It was an AIA-Award winning building and the Conservancy wanted it saved. But in my opinion, the building wasn't serving the needs of the city. It was a dead office building and it made more sense converting it into housing. The building wasn't on any major (historical) register or up for local recognition. The feeling of loss is understandable but the city's need for housing outweighs that.

Q: Where's the line between buildings that must be saved and those that, while cherished, can still be replaced?

A: I have a deep love for the historical context of Los Angeles. At the same time, clearly there are historical buildings that should be preserved forever: the Hollyhock House, the Hollywood Bowl, among others. Then there are the gray area buildings that might contain some elements but could serve a better purpose.
Q:The LAUSD took a lot of flak from preservationists for deciding to raze the Ambassador Hotel to make way for new schools. Was it a sad day when the Ambassador was torn down?

A:I don't believe the Ambassador Hotel was worth preserving. The only thing that made it noteworthy was the event that took place there (the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy). Nothing architecturally was significant about the place and the School District's need for more classrooms was more pressing.
http://www.labusinessjournal.com
http://www.kannerarch.com

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:52 pm

Would it be wrong if I intensely disliked Stephen Kanner? Those answers are so wrong and sooooo misinformed!

Hello! The Hollywood Bowl was demolished! And so much more happened at the Ambassador than one gunshot!

And by the way Mr. Kanner, an AIA-Award winning office building CAN be converted to housing without turning into a pile of billboard-covered crap. Just how do twelve-story-tall billboards serve a neighborhood better than an AIA-Award winning building?
Last edited by Lynxwiler on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:36 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:46 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Unwrapping Hollywood landmark's many stories
Owners of a gutted Sunset tower say all asbestos was removed before a protective plastic shroud was damaged.
By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer
March 23, 2007

In the beginning, Los Angeles' first modern skyscraper won acclaim.

Then, the Sunset-Vine Tower somehow turned into the city's most cursed landmark.

Some of its problems were real. An electrical explosion in 2001 burned out its entire power system. There was a surprise lockout of its tenants by city officials. Squatters took over the 20-story building and turned it into what some called "the world's biggest crack house."

Others were imaginary. The 1974 image of the building, at the southeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street, falling apart was merely a special effect for the thrill flick "Earthquake." The spectacular 2005 fire that turned the place into a towering inferno ended up causing no damage at all.

And now the tower's asbestos scare of 2007 turns out to be fake, too...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... -headlines

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:04 pm

Nichols.

You beat me to it! I was about to post that article, which I was quoted in, by the way.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:13 pm

The article indicated it would be an apt building, ready in 2008.
Will it be the tallest apt bldg in the city?

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Don't know about it being the tallest, but it will be the thinest!

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 am

1100 Wilshire is probably the tallest apartment building in the city. Or is it condos? Maybe one will come up for rent.. Anyway...

http://www.1100wilshirela.com/

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Photo taken Sept 2, 2007

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:12 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Moving right along...

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:03 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Things are starting to look up for a revamped Hollywood high-rise
A once-down-on-its-luck office tower at Sunset and Vine has been transformed into a glam apartment building, with restaurants and a wine bar.

By Bob Pool
March 4, 2010

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9225.story

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”