Fire guts historic IBM building in San Jose

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Fire guts historic IBM building in San Jose

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:54 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

as the

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Church Lady sez 'how conveeeeenient'.
Wasn't there also some problem about toxic chemicals going into the water supply there or was that at another location (resolution?).
That always marked the arrival in San Jose when driving from LA to SF
on the 101 if it's the building I'm thinking of.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:47 am

Yep... according to Heather at Silicon Valley Modern, http://www.svmodern.com/ that's the 3rd or 4th historic building to burn down in San Jose in the past year. This IBM campus was designed by John Bolles, the same architect that designed the Paul Masson Champagne Cellars that were once in Saratoga, CA. That building was demolished to make room for some highway expansion up there. Here is a picture from my website.
The sculpture in the fountain is by Gurdon Woods, who also did a piece for the IBM Campus in San Jose
Another one of Bolles buildings, the former Birkenstock distribution center in Novato, is currently vacant and ripe for this type of suspicious "redevelopment."
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:02 am

Speaking of lost architecture in the Bay Area, I wish I had taken photos of the Nave Lanes bowling emporium in South Novato (Ignacio), Marin County, demolished perhaps a dozen years ago. It was a Wrightian structure of red brick and white stucco, long and low, with circular plan elements and disc-shaped roofs with up-curved edge detail. The architect was David Stovall, an early-fifties Taliesin fellow of little renown.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”