Googie in Finland?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Truro
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Googie in Finland?

Postby Truro » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 am

Now look at this:
That's in Jyväskylä, where I currently live. Don't know whether it has anything to do with Googie, but undoubtedly futuristic looking. The first picture shows also nicely the comparison between a "normal" and a "non-normal" pillar.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Kinda have that here as well

Postby modfan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Burbank Empire Center:

Built on property that used to be an old aerospace plant (Lockheed Burbank?)
Kinda has that aviation/jet age theme thru out the center and the signage.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:24 pm

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:51 pm

i think it demands a NEW style name...

how about "Googie Nouveau"
?

Truro
Modern Groupie

Postby Truro » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:14 pm

Actually, the two constructions didn't get my attention in the first place, although my eyes are at least 1960s-specifically sharpened so that I would spot a retro <whatever> in a shop. Perhaps it's a bit like in one of these movie scenes where the person doesn't even realise that he is standing at the foot of a big monster because it's so big. At least I would definitely acclaim a 21st century Googie. I think one error in reasoning is that styles are seen by some people to be somehow naturally restricted to a certain time period, and then they think about it like »okay, let's get the next style«. If something precious has been achieved, it has also to be preserved in some way. The Googie style importance can also be seen in the fact that there were especially in the 1970s many songs devoted to it (like Googie Nights, for example). A joke.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:22 am

Googie Nights! I like that. Maybe Lotta Living should make a film?

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

Truro
Modern Groupie

Postby Truro » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm not lying! Look here (track 14):
http://www.amazon.com/D-I-S-C-O-Album-V ... B0000W3ZOG
(incredible...)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”