Farewell Robert Nudelman, Hollywood Heritage

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Farewell Robert Nudelman, Hollywood Heritage

Postby nichols » Wed May 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Farewell, Robert Nudelman
I'm saddened by the passing of Robert Nudelman, who served as the Director of Preservation Issues for Hollywood Heritage. Robert was a friend and someone with whom I worked closely during the last seven years to ensure that Hollywood’s history would be preserved and celebrated as it entered its second Golden Age.

Robert believed in Hollywood, even during times when few others did. His perseverance helped ensure that the neighborhood’s renaissance became a reality. He will be greatly missed, but his work will remain a part of Hollywood’s enduring history.

-Eric Garcetti

http://lacityorgcd13.blogspot.com/2008/ ... elman.html

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed May 07, 2008 4:43 pm

It's a sad day in Hollywood.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed May 07, 2008 5:39 pm

condolences to his family and friends. he was truly someone who cared.

losfeliz
Modern Master

Robert

Postby losfeliz » Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 pm

I was at a Hollywood Heritage event tonight and heard this shocking news. I am reeling. Robert Nudelman was a giant in the preservation community and it's an incalculable loss. No one can fill his shoes. Horribly sad. Huge loss. Debra Levine

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 am

There's so much I could write about Robert, but I can't stop the tears that
keep welling up in my eyes.

Since hearing the news yesterday I am still in shock. I will forever miss
seeing Robert around town, at hearings, at the Cinematheque, at paper
shows...but most of all, I will miss this passionate man who cared so deeply
for our city, its history, and dedicated his life to preserving the way we live.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 08, 2008 10:50 am

LA WEEKLY

Robert Nudelman: A Tireless Defender
by Patrick Range McDonald
May 8, 2008 4:39 AM
Several hours after I heard Robert Nudelman had died at the age of 52 at his father’s home in Tucson, Arizona, I was driving on El Centro Avenue, heading north towards Sunset Boulevard and the Hollywood sign. In front of me, I could see the Palladium and the old CBS TV-and-radio complex—two important buildings that contributed to Los Angeles’s historic culture and funky architecture. I looked at these landmarks and thought of Robert, the now-former director of preservation issues at Hollywood Heritage.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/city- ... eless-def/
Last edited by nichols on Thu May 08, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 08, 2008 10:52 am

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Robert Nudelman, a leading Hollywood preservationist who campaigned to restore such landmarks as the El Capitan Theatre and the Cinerama Dome, has died. He was 52.

Nudelman was visiting Tucson when he was found dead Tuesday at his father's home, said Fran Offenhauser, vice president of Hollywood Heritage, a group Nudelman helped lead for years

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 8526.story

harding
Modern Groupie

Postby harding » Thu May 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Robert Nudelman was an amazing warrior - I will miss his tireless spirit in championing causes. He was so crucial to the Cinerama Dome fight, and countless other issues in Hollywood. I really admired how he went behind the scenes after the TAV Theater on Vine was not made a landmark and he had the bas relief incorporated into the facade anyway (I was certain it would be demolished). He was a great preservationist - we should all strive to his level of tenacity and gumption.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:18 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 pm

tonite

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Video tribute to Robert W. Nudelman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXS4gucLc8

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”