Alpine Village in Torrance > Illegal demolition

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Alpine Village in Torrance > Illegal demolition

Postby nichols » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm

DAILY BREEZE

What's going on at Alpine Village?
RECREATION: Longtime managers have been fired and redevelopment is now delayed.
By Nick Green, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 06/26/2008 11:57:29 PM PDT

Alpine Village, the kitschy German-themed landmark near Torrance that this year marks its 40th anniversary, has entered something of a midlife crisis.

Longtime manager Hans Rotter and his wife, Teri, were fired last week apparently for their role in an ill-conceived redevelopment scheme, several sources who asked to remain anonymous told the Daily Breeze independently.

That ambitious project, which began and then was stopped because it lacked a county demolition permit, at one time included a plan to build a 300-room hotel atop the German restaurant and bar, officials confirmed.

However, the demolition, which included much of the huge 1,373-space parking lot and the aging beer garden used for Alpine Village's annual Oktoberfest, resulted in the loss of two other South Bay institutions...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_9715367

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 pm

It had been about 15 years since my last visit so Nichols' post encouraged me to go back. Here's some pics of what I saw.

In a nutshell, the shopping and restaurant/dining aren't worth the trek, but the grocery and beer are wonderful and worth repeating.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 am

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:23 am

I won't rule it out. The price of the buffet is pretty good too; $16, I think.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:33 am

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:49 am

vintagegirl
Modern Fan

Postby vintagegirl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 am

Wow, I had no idea this had happened! I've been to many of their Oktoberfests and it seems odd for them to destroy the beer garden when it was always a packed event.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”