Pasadena Ford closing

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pasadena Ford closing

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:23 pm

PASADENA STAR NEWS

Pasadena Ford to close after company buyout

By Dan Abendschein, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 07/07/2008 11:04:51 PM PDT
PASADENA - Pasadena Ford will close next month after accepting a buyout from the national Ford Motor Co.

The dealership, which is on Colorado Boulevard near Hill Avenue, also sells Suzukis and used cars. It initially spurned a buyout offer in January, but officials changed their minds last week, said Pasadena Ford President Larry Reemtsen.

"With the economy, and $5 gasoline dragging down sales, we decided it would be best to take the money," said Reemtsen. "Ford is probably about two years from starting to make money again."..

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_9813672

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:39 am

The city planning department reports that the survey for E Colorado Boulevard identifies the building as qualifying for listing in the National Register. The building (1946) was designed by Sylvanus Marston and is probably the earliest International Style building in Pasadena.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:26 pm

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Hey, that's my picture of that old Ford Crest! Cool!

Anyway, It would be cool if that old dealership could be saved....they just don't build 'em like they used too!

Sadly, a stucco box is probably waiting in the wings for that site.

retromotelguest
Modern Fan

Postby retromotelguest » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm

A long time ago I was writing something for someone somewhere, and I needed called Alan Hess to ask him question, and it seems to me he mentioned that this building was his favorite in the Crown City. Might be important to remember...

I drove by it today and the very last of the Pintos, whoops I mean Fusions, were being driven up onto car carriers. (would have been more symbolic if they were driving Excursions/Expeditions/Explorers into a giant steel smelter). Might be a good time to document...

I don't put anything past the City of Developers nowadays, since they continue to flatten half-mile blocks to build housing for the upper-middle-class professionals they find so much more desirable than their historic citizen base. Keep in mind that since the city's historic-automobile-related-architecture report came out about twelve years ago listing about 500 properties, they have done a decent job of knocking more than a few off that list... the old Spanish-Revival dealership next to the Academy Theater where the Koll Corporation Building (a very early pioneer of this 21st century "Urban Renewal") now stands comes to mind.

And by the way -- has anyone seen the (now rather stark) context of the historic brick 1920s Cadillac repair garage at the west end of Green Street between Pas Ave & DeLacey...??

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”