Carnation Ice Cream Restaurant (Wilshire Blvd.)

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

surffnutt3000
Modern Fan

Carnation Ice Cream Restaurant (Wilshire Blvd.)

Postby surffnutt3000 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Does anyone else remember the restaurant operated by Carnation when their headquarters building was on Wilshire Blvd.?

I know the place is long gone, but I have many memories of it from my younger days and was wondering if anyone knew of any links to any photos/information about the place. Thanks!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 pm

i absolutely remember this and have great memories of it as a kid - it was the special treat after a day at the beautiful PRE anderson wing LACMA (when there were still fountains!!!)

i saw it in the background of some movie scene someplace recently??? i will ask my husband if he remembers where we saw it.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

surffnutt3000
Modern Fan

Postby surffnutt3000 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Ah yes, LACMA when there were fountains - next to May Company which was across the street from Orbach's. 8-)

Two of my favorites at Carnation were the BBQ Beef sandwiches (hey, I was a kid) and their specialty sundaes (especially the "Red Hot Lover").

Please let us know if you remember the name of that movie; I'd love to "revisit" the place, even on film!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 am

surffnutt3000
Modern Fan

Postby surffnutt3000 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks Chris! That particular menu's a little before my time, but I'd still order a Carnation Special Sundae. So what if the five-scoop creation costs 85 cents, I'm a big spender. :wink:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 am

MMMMMM!
Carnation Building (1948-1990)
(flickr)

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Were

Postby modfan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 am

there other locations?
I have vague memories of the one on Wilshire.

surffnutt3000
Modern Fan

Postby surffnutt3000 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Not sure, but I might remember there being a location at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

While doing an online search about this subject, I came upon a place called Carnation Ice Cream Land in Santa Ana. I have no idea if there's any connection at all to the original company, but I'll be checking the place out sometime this weekend.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:15 am

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 am

There used to be a Carnation Ice Creamland store in Garden Grove near the intersection of Chapman and Euclid. It was very cool. It had the classic red & white striped decor with those white wrought iron chairs with the heart shape. My friends and I used to hang out there and play pinball in the 70s. I loved their champagne ice sherbet flavor! Later the place became Annie's and they switched to a purple and white color scheme. The place was demolished many years ago and town homes are now on the site.
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”