Long Beach County Courthouse

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Long Beach County Courthouse

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Looks like the Long Beach Courthouse is scheduled for replacement.
“Request for Qualifications for new Long Beach Courthouseâ€￾
The Administrative Office of the Courts (OAC), Office of Court Construction and Management seeks qualifications from firms interested in providing services to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a new superior court building of approximately 480,000 gsf, on a site in downtown Long Beach that will be provided by the AOC.

The RFQ is available at www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/occm/pbi.htm

Deadline is January 9, 2009 at 5:00 pm
Last edited by nichols on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:12 am

This is one modern building I am actually glad to see go. The escalators are often broken (a heart attack victim died in the jury waiting room on the top floor because the fire dept had to hoof it up to him). The bathrooms smell hideous. Everything is filthy and depressing. The building is propped up by wooden posts in some half-finished attempt at retrofitting--a good shake and I expect it will all come down. Let's just hope that no one is in it at the time. I have had to go there for jury duty and you cant even find a chair that doesn't have unknown stains on it.

Unfortunately, it didn't need to end like this--but LA County has neglected this building for decades. I expect it is past saving. If it was ever a cool building, it is such a mess now that you can't see it.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Dedicated by California governor Earl Warren to the "Spirit of Christmas" on December 21, 1960. Designed by Francis J. Heusel with Killingsworth Brady & Smith. Ed Killingsworth! That's a big deal. The complex also houses the Long Beach Police Department and was known as the Public Safety Building.

With regard to the current state of the building, I sympathize with people that have to use the building in it's dilapidated state, but never be blinded to restoration opportunities in a decrepit building. The White House was near collapse when Harry Truman rebuilt it in 1950.

Check out this poor trolley car in Charlotte, NC
before
after

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Yeah, you are right--it just seems like such a horrible place, I couldn't wait to get out of there. If I had to work there, I would look for another job!

I would like to know why our taxpayer dollars are wasted like this--had the building been taken care *at all*, we would have used it for many more years. Boy, this looks stupid when California is in a financial crisis, eh?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:33 pm

I agree with you HB. It must be awful to be an employee there and suffer fifty years of deferred maintenance. It's an awful lot like Parker Center...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=487

Looks like a twofer. The old courthouse is not coming down for the new, but in addition to making the 1960 buidling a white elephant candidate for destruction, this project also calls for the demolition of that ancient marine supply store at Magnolia and Broadway/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Oh Man! I love that place. I think it would make a great indoor/outdoor cafe.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”