Eugene, OR - speak out to preserve local Googie architecture
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm
"In May 2005, the City of Eugene, in cooperation with the University of Oregon and the State of Oregon, initiated a planning process for an area along Franklin Boulevard known as "Walnut Station." Walnut Station is a transit stop location on the EmX line between downtown Eugene and downtown Springfield. It is also the epicenter of a planning initiative to stimulate redevelopment of this area as a key mixed use center for Eugene."
The former Lew Williams/Joe Romania auto showroom is located within the footprint of this planned redevelopment. The showroom was designed in 1959 by the local architectural firm of Balzhiser, Seder & Rhodes. The property is owned by the University of Oregon.
The City of Eugene is hosting a public input opportunity for this project. The opportunity is called the Walnut Station Charrette and it will be held April 27-29, 2009. For more info, please visit the City of Eugene website page on the Walnut Station project here:
http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server. ... ached=true
If you would like to see the showroom preserved and incorporated into this project, this is an opportunity to say so. Please plan on attending.
More information on the former auto showroom/display pavillion can be found at: