Haus at Weissenhof (1927) - Le Corbusier

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Haus at Weissenhof (1927) - Le Corbusier

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:56 am

Hi everybody. I had the opportunity to visit the Haus Le Corbusier - Stuttgart yesterday*. The house (originally designed as a sort of duplex, with two residences sharing a wall down the narrow axis of the building) has been converted to a museum of the 1927 Weissenhof Home Exhibition on one side, and restored to it's original interior form/appearance on the other.

The main purpose of this post was just to give the museum my enthusiastic recommendation! The house and the surrounding neighborhood (complete with lots of other surviving structures from the 1927 exhibition) are really enjoyable. Also, the museum offers a great time capsule regarding early concepts for open plan living, the birth of the International Style, the concept of multi-use rooms, and other elements that eventually contributed to many MCM homes of the 50's and 60's. If you find yourself in Stuttgart, Germany at any point in the future, I definitely recommend taking some time to check it out!

http://www.weissenhofmuseum.de/

*The correct nomenclature for this house seems to be a little vague, even in the museum they call it by several different names. See attached image, below.

You are born modern, you do not become so.

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:55 pm

must put this on my list of things to see next time I am in Europe.

saw a handful of Le Corb's work when I was in Paris. It was truly inspirational.
Shane Hood
Lortondale
Tulsa, Oklahoma
lortondale.com
oneoneth.com

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”