Queen Mary

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Queen Mary

Postby nichols » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:30 am

LONG BEACH PRESS - TELEGRAM

New ideas floated for Queen Mary

By Paul Eakins, Staff Writer
Posted: 04/26/2009 05:26:58 PM PDT

Sci-fi museum, water park among failed ideas
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Since Garrison Investment Group took full control of the lease to operate the Queen Mary in January, the New York company has kept mum on its plans for the iconic ship.

So far, it's business as usual aboard the Queen Mary, according to those who run its day-to-day operations. But what Garrison has in mind for the ship and for the 45 developable acres next to it is still unclear...

Meanwhile, another development company hopes to buy the Queen Mary and has grand plans for the ship - restoring it to seaworthiness and turning it once again into a luxury ocean liner....

http://www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_ ... legram.com

MODCEPHALIC
Modern Fan

Postby MODCEPHALIC » Sat May 02, 2009 12:09 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 am

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Queen Mary is getting a long-overdue makeover
The company that leases the cruise ship turned floating hotel from the city of Long Beach is investing $5 million to upgrade rooms and restaurants.

By Hugo Martín
March 2, 2010 | 9:15 p.m.

...Company officials say their strategy is to restore the ship to much of its Art Deco splendor while incorporating modern-day amenities.

For example, as it begins to remodel the 314 staterooms, the company has refurbished the room's original portholes and bathtubs -- including knobs for hot and cold saltwater -- but also added flat-screen televisions, hair dryers and iPod docking stations.

"I think people are looking for something different, and this will offer that," said Uwe Roggenthien, the general manager of the ship...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-q ... 3185.story

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Postby wideimaging » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 am

Queen Mary, Long Beach CA, August 1, 2010. They don't exactly invite you to tour closed parts of the ship under construction but I stumbled upon this upper deck cabin used for storage, with a large unexplained mother-daughter (I assume)glamor shot (very expensive at this size and now forgotten).

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”