Modernist Landscaping

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

Modernist Landscaping

Postby scowsa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:50 am

Two recent articles worth a look:

Are Landscapes the Next Wave for Preservation?
Long overshadowed by mid-century architecture, modernist landscapes are gaining recognition, with help from the downturn.

Seeing Space
Friends, clients, and colleagues remember Robert N. Royston (1918–2008), a pioneering modernist whose teaching and work helped to define landscape architecture in postwar California.

Note that the last link does not contain the full article but many libraries subscribe to Landscape Architecture.

Here is more on Royston
scowsa

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:06 am

I don't think that Landscapes get overlooked do they? Every one I see here has been well thought out and kept in the style of the architecture. Maybe the cities and towns that the article concentrates on don't think twice about changing out historic landscapes/parks, although I don't see Chicago tearing out the fountain in Grant Park or NYC mucking things up in that park out there...what's the name of it again?

Re-reading the article I guess the above parks don't count as they are not "modern".

My fave: http://www.karllinn.org/htmls/Biography_Sketch.html

"Private practice in landscape architecture"

"Starting as a laborer, Karl gradually developed a landscape contracting business and later a highly respected private practice in landscape architecture. His most complex and prestigious project was designing an interior landscape for The Four Seasons Restaurant in the newly constructed Seagram Building [3]. His ground-breaking work helped pave the way for the emerging field of large-scale interior landscape architecture. He designed landscapes for affluent owners of residential and corporate properties in and around Manhattan and along the Eastern seaboard. Despite critical acclaim, access to the highest quality materials, and the satisfaction of designing beautiful spaces, he was increasingly disturbed by the isolation of nuclear families that his designs reinforced and disheartened by the declining social relevance of his work."

The landscape design he did for our house could be included in the list that disturbed him. We are planning to restore it (one of these days).

khummer
Modern Master

Thanks for getting me out of bed and back to work!

Postby khummer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”