Status of Knott's Berry Farm

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Status of Knott's Berry Farm

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:10 pm

Some months ago there was discussion here about buildings that were scheduled to be demolished, including, I think, the Transfiguration of Christ church. Have any of the demolitions gone forward?
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:28 pm

Yep,
It's all gone. The Church of Reflections, the Little Chapel by the Lake and the log cabin next door have all been demo'd.

Sure Knott's said they moved the Church of Refelctions, but in reality they only saved the windows and pews -- all else is gone, gone.

Dammit.

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:18 pm

How long do you figure before they plow under the original berry stand?

I'm sure Cedar Fair wants another high-velocity scream-inducer on that plot of land.

CJ

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Quite frankly, I don't know if the original Berry Stand still stands anymore. That entire section of the park has been blocked off for months as they make way for newest little screamer that's guaranteed to be just as good as the nearby (and lame) Jaguar.

I'd like to know what's next on their list...
The Knott's Roaring Twenties animated neon signage perhaps?

Better not.

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 pm

I'd guess maybe the fountain between Ghost Town and the Roaring 20s is next on the hit list. Certainly, it's the most beautiful fountain in Orange County and therefore it's just screaming to be replaced by some headache-inducing nightmare.

BTW, I noticed that the Knott's (2001 Tour) section of the LottaLiving "Gallery" was empty -- So I posted a bunch of photos. A photo from the Little Chapel by the Lake is included.

CJ

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:11 pm

Thanks for the Knott's photos! Too cool!

As for that fountain at the entrance to the Roaring Twenties area, I hope it never leaves either. Here's the history as I know it: The Knott's fountain is one of a pair originally constructed for the film "Hello Dolly", but the pair was broken when 20th Century Fox sold one and kept the other. The sister fountain was in storage on their Century City lot up until a few years ago, but has since disappeared. By the way, it might look like a cast iron fountain, but it's really made of fiberglass.

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:16 pm

That makes sense based on what I know about Knott's old buying habits. They used to buy lots of movie props years ago.

At one point (early 1960s?) they tore down a storage warehouse behind the park and gave away their old Hollywood props & costumes to any employees who wanted them. A buddy of mine (who worked in the art dept at the time) came away with an amazing set of costumes, including one he traced back to Mutiny on the Bounty.

CJ

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am

OT: Does anyone know about a Knott's employee named Gene White? I'm told he was responsible for some of the scenery there in the late '60s/early '70s. Thanks.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:30 pm

they still have not updated their website?
the Church of Reflections is still listed here:

http://www.knotts.com/park/tour/fvillage/showsatt.shtml

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:01 pm

I don't know about the scenery person you inquire about, Plesset but I know the late great Big Daddy Ed Roth worked in Knotts sign shop during that period, 60's early 70's. When I pay a visit to the park I find myself studying the handpainted signage looking for Roths' SoCal Car Culture signature touches. Who knows what remains of his work at Knotts Berry Farm. Oh, maybe I'm supposed to drop the "Berry Farm" as Kentucky Fried Chicken is attempting to drop the "Fried" in their name. Yea, is the original berry shack still know to exist?

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:09 am

TwinJim wrote:I don't know about the scenery person you inquire about, Plesset but I know the late great Big Daddy Ed Roth worked in Knotts sign shop during that period, 60's early 70's.

Did you ever go to Movie World in Buena Park (not to be confused with Movieland Wax Museum, which was just a few minutes away)? Roth did tons of signage there (as did Von Dutch). Also, Robby the Robot was displayed there, and Roth helped restore his rover. There were also lots of Roth vehicles there.

When Movie World was extensively remodelled in '78, Von Dutch did A LOT on that.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:58 am

When we took the KBF tour (http://www.lottaliving.com/knotts/)

We got to go backstage and visit the Ed Daddy Roth Painted Fridge!

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:28 pm

Plesset wrote:OT: Does anyone know about a Knott's employee named Gene White? I'm told he was responsible for some of the scenery there in the late '60s/early '70s. Thanks.

Hey Ross -
Gene White apparently painted all of the background scenery for the Log Ride. I tried to ask Bud Hurlbut about him - but he wouldn't say much. A mutual friend who was there during that era told me that Mr. White had a drinking problem & equal difficulties in getting work done in a timely manner. Of course that may be entirely untrue! I don't know much about him...

The demolition continues at the farm - here is what they did to the Dr. Walker's Dentist Cabin:

My friend did manage to aquire quite a few pieces of the original Adobe Chapel & Dentist's Cabin before they demo'd it though... You may see it all again in a familiar form someday...

Wow! All this talk about Knott's! That's what happens when I don't check Lotta Living for a while!

P.S. Here's what you get in place of the serenity of The Chapel Of The Transfiguration & The Chapel Of The Reflections:

http://badnitrus.coasterbuzz.com/Coaste ... Bullet.htm

This is a roller coaster fan site - but check out his videos at the bottom of the page for a scarily accurate 3-D creation of what is most likely will look like...

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:12 pm

That roller coaster looks like a much smaller version of Viper over at Magic Mountain. It's got similar tricks.

What's this new rumor going about that Knott's is planning on tearing down Independence Hall next? The rumors are cirulating on a park expansion or second gate operation across Beach Blvd on the Independence Hall block.

Anybody got news on this one?

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:31 pm

Lynxwiler wrote:
What's this new rumor going about that Knott's is planning on tearing down Independence Hall next? The rumors are cirulating on a park expansion or second gate operation across Beach Blvd on the Independence Hall block.

Anybody got news on this one?

That's a very scary rumor - I haven't heard that one yet.... I hope it's not true....

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:26 pm

[quote="Tangaroa"]

Hey Ross -
Gene White apparently painted all of the background scenery for the Log Ride. I tried to ask Bud Hurlbut about him - but he wouldn't say much. A mutual friend who was there during that era told me that Mr. White had a drinking problem & equal difficulties in getting work done in a timely manner. Of course that may be entirely untrue! I don't know much about him...

Thank you very much for this info!!!! I know for sure that Gene White worked on the Turn of the Century Wax Museum at Torrance's Old Town shopping mall (early '70s). I THINK he may have also done fake rockwork for a Monolith "Dhome" house in Yucaipa, CA.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 08, 2012 3:47 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Wendell 'Bud' Hurlbut dies at 92; designed, built attractions for Knott's Berry Farm
Wendell 'Bud' Hurlbut is credited with helping to turn Knott's Berry Farm into a modern amusement park. He created several rides for the park, including two signature attractions: the Calico Mine Ride and the Timber Mountain Log Ride.
January 18, 2011|By Keith Thursby, Los Angeles Times

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/18 ... t-20110118

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Amusement company's long ride comes to an end
Toys, props, tools and memorabilia move fast during a sale at the Buena Park business. The workshop had built and refurbished carousels, miniature train rides and accessories for theme parks worldwide.

By Thomas Curwen, Los Angeles Times
May 6, 2012
The concrete Indian on the forklift struck a precarious pose as he moved through a crowd of rummagers scouting the remains of Bud Hurlbut's workshop in Buena Park. From behind the wheel, Lonnie Lloyd waved everyone aside as he guided the 6-foot, 6-inch statue into a U-Haul van. Its new owners shimmied it against a wall.

Toys, props, tools and memorabilia at Hurlbut Amusement Co. moved fast during the recent three-day sale, and Lloyd tried not to be sentimental...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 4342.story

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”